Damp Proofing Non-Damp Cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I have a cellar in a victorian house which im planning on converting into living space (man-cave, games room, etc). There are no signs of damp anywhere in the whole room, but im still thinking a little extra protection wouldnt be a bad idea.

As there are no signs of damp anywhere, would a practical solution to this simply to cover the walls and floor in dpm? I know the purists will say this is just covering up the problem not a solution, but as I said there are no signs of damp, this is simply just a secondary barrier just in case.

Would this work, or am i underestimating the problem and covering the entire room in dpm just cause more problems than it will cure?

Thanks,

Pete

Sponsored Links
yes, 100mm kingspan on the floor which will be joisted out and 60mm on the walls which will be 3x2 studwork all round

Sponsored Links
yes, 100mm kingspan on the floor which will be joisted out and 60mm on the walls which will be 3x2 studwork all round

Hi, i would consider using a sealant on the walls. See the x-seal website by searching x-seal, it penetrates and seals permanantly so you won't need to reapply like other sealants. Its fairly new to market but has been used inlarge scale industry for years. I've seen it used to damp proof walls and chimneys, let me know if this helps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back