damp wall and correct plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everybody,
I live in a 1950's bungalow with solid concrete floors and 11" cavity walls. I think I have cured the damp wall by lowering the ground level out side to 2 brick below dpc level, and more importantly replacing a single air brick which was making the inner leaf cold, with a solid brick.(the air brick was from previous owner for now removed gas fire).
I now need to re-plaster this wall, I hear gypsum plasters are not reccomended and lime plaster is ?
I have only ever used bonding or browning + multi finish top coat.
I would appreciate any advice. cheers.

Sponsored Links
Interesting you say that removing the airbrick has stopped the damp, by effectively removing ventilation. I would of thought reducing ventilation would of worsened the problem.
I wonder if you had not lowered the floor below dpc the airbrick would of made any difference.

Interesting you say that removing the airbrick has stopped the damp, by effectively removing ventilation. I would of thought reducing ventilation would of worsened the problem.
I wonder if you had not lowered the floor below dpc the airbrick would of made any difference.
Jimbo, air brick was for a gas fire, a cavity wall with solid floors does not need air bricks, they make the inner leaf cold resulting in condensation,..Woody said so.

Sponsored Links
Jimbo, air brick was for a gas fire, a cavity wall with solid floors does not need air bricks, they make the inner leaf cold resulting in condensation,..Woody said so.
Ah of course solid floor.. i was thinking timber.
Was also wondering why sand/cement was a no no too? Good luck, sorry i cant help :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back