DeWalt Core drill - arbor wobble...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

Got a new DeWalt diamond core drill but having problems lining up my new 175mm Arbor for my 127mm diamond bit.

Just looking for some tips on how to best line the pieces up for minimal wobble or for guidance on how much 'wobble' is acceptable?

Both drill and arbor are new and with smaller pieces in the drill I get no wobble so am confident that the chuck is square

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If its wobbling then something is bent. Make sure the center bit is removed.

Does it have a drill bit in the center? Usually 10mm and usually removable.

Sponsored Links
Sorry not sure what the problem is. Maybe some of the others will have a go. I'm out.

Thanks Norcon - at the risk of sounding completely thick what do you mean centre bit? It's a keyed chuck and a hex arbor...

Thanks in advance

The arbour should have a pilot drill which pops into a hole in the centre of the arbour. If you are using it without the pilot drill then a big core will wobble.

Thanks Norcon - at the risk of sounding completely thick what do you mean centre bit? It's a keyed chuck and a hex arbor...

Thanks in advance

The arbour should have a pilot drill which pops into a hole in the centre of the arbour. If you are using it without the pilot drill then a big core will wobble.

Thanks for your comments - I plan to use it with both a 28mm and 127mm, no pilot drill for the 28mm.

Not sure it should wobble with just the arbor in? Perhaps I'm feeding it into e chuck wrong?!

Landyandy wrote
If you are using it without the pilot drill then a big core will wobble.

No it won't. Once started it stays steady.
This is the kind of comment I would expect from someone with no experience.
The center bit is not necessary. Any time we use them (which is quite often) we remove the center bit as it usually gets lost.
A timber V block is all you need for start off or your boots.
The Op is obviously a dafty diyer who has never used this kind of equipment. Someone who doesn't know how to use a jacobs chuck should obviously not be using this equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back