Diesel on new tarmac driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says, my car has been leaking diesel on my tarmac drive since its service about 2 weeks ago, but only noticed it today. Its stripped away the bitumen and left the aggregate. i have have been using the hose for about an hour trying to get rid of the diesel, but it still coming out the holes which are about 5cm round.
Whats the best way of getting rid of the diesel, also any suggestions on how to repair the holes to a reasonable standard?
There are holes dotted all over the drive as i didnt park in the same position on the night. The drive was only layed under a year ago :cry:

Sponsored Links
Diesel will 'kill' tarmac, surfacing crews use red diesel on their equipment to clean it and prevent the material sticking. Water will just disperse the diesel, if its soaked into the tarmac then you'll just make things worse I think.

Only solution (once you've fixed the leaking car!), is to cut out the damaged patches and repair with fresh material. Either get the contractor back to repair or a DIY job can be done with a cold lay material, but for longetivity i'd get it done professionally. Joints where new and old material meet need to be sealed to prevent water ingress, otherwise the water will freeze and cause even more damage. :cry:

thanks for the reply
after reading on the internet a few people say use coca cola or washing powder, not sure if thats just to get rid of a stain or get rid of the diesel.
its gone to far just to stain it. will this work and stop the diesel spreading.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, just a thought going back to original post. Who serviced the car? If it's been done at a garage and they've left it with the diesel leak then i'd be asking them what they will do about the damage to your driveway. :?:

A diesel leak on a truck is grounds for VOSA to issue a prohibition notice, the truck dont move until the leak is fixed! Spilt diesel is lethal for motorcyclists, especially now the poor weather is arriving. :eek:

One of my crew managed to spill dirty engine oil on his parent's newish red brick driveway. Being clever he and his mate (the ship's engineer) lifted the bricks and turned them over so that no one - particularly his mother - wouldn't notice.

He got away with it for about 2 years until his father did the exact same thing but of course when he turned the bricks they were already covered in oil from his son's oi! :):) Wife/mother not happy.

Bit of thread drift but still funny.

W.

Once diesel is in the tarmac there's not a lot you can do expect for a patch repair, on my mother driveway I have chopped out rectangle section and backfilled it with black stone chippings

This has always been a problem. That is the reason bus layby's are concrete and the hard shoulders of motorways are dense tar, both immune to diesel damage. Best advice is get rid of tarmac driveway and concrete it.

I had a small petrol leak on my parents almost new tarmac drive - made a "drill hole" that no-one's noticed <where's the "whistle" emoticon ?>

I was wondering, wouldn't it be possible to thin down some bitumen with solvent and pour it on - being liquid it could flow down into the holes and when the solvent evaporates it should leave the bitumen behind. Obviously it would leave a soft patch for a while ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back