distance between piers

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have a 9" garden wall, about 6' high.

I want to cut a full-height gateway in it. The piers are about 15' apart.

I was thinking of putting the gateway next to a pier, so the hinge side of the frame would be well supported by that pier. But would it be better to cut it half-way between piers? I don't want to build new piers if I can possibly avoid it. It would be laborious to try to tie it in to the existing strip foundation. There is a tarmac pavement on the other side, and garden on my side.

I think the wall was built in the 1970's.

Sponsored Links
I think this is one of those where there is no definitive answer. a 100mm thick wall 6' high wouldn't pass any code today so, in theory, your wall fell over years ago. I'd cut against one of the existing piers.

I think this is one of those where there is no definitive answer. a 100mm thick wall 6' high wouldn't pass any code today so, in theory, your wall fell over years ago. I'd cut against one of the existing piers.

I think his wall is 225 (9") thick, though at 6ft high probably near the limit.

Probably easier to cut next to one pier, though you would still need the cut end of the wall supported some way - best with a pier. You could tie it with starter strips to save bonding, though it would still need a small extension to the footing.

Sponsored Links
Ah, somehow missed that. As tony says, still close to the modern limit even for 9". But in reality it should be ok wherever you cut the opening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back