Door opening in or out ?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all or the previous advice,i am getting my flat ready for sale and doing repairs/remedial work to bring it up to standards.

Question. I have a kitchen diner arrangement the door and frame has been removed to open up the access.
I have to get the door,frame reinstalled to comply with standards and future visits by surveyors :cry:

Can the door open inwards or outwards,outwards would be my first choice due to layout of kitchen.?. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
[quote="ban-all-sheds";
What standards? building regulations and previous approved building conversion plans.

Who says? as above including the fire brigade,home insurance company etc.

Which surveyors? property will be sold and i assume future owners will need a survey.

Sponsored Links
If it's a downstairs flat with a conservatory on the back then maybe, but I can't see removing a single door being a problem, unless it was a fire door for some obscure reason?

Has anyone told you what the regulations say, other than "though shalt put the door back there"?

Its a second floor 2 bedroom flat (top flat) property was converted to 2 flats 28 years ago and the council approved the conversion so i assume they have a copy of the original approved plan,which showed a door into the kitchen area.

I have already decided to reinstate the door and just wanting to know if it can open inwards or outwards.

Just looking for advice before i contact a tradesman to carry out the remedial work before i sell.

As above - you can open it either way. Whether you actually need the door or not depends on the situation. Under building regulations, alterations are not supposed to make fire escape worse than it previously was. So if removing the door increased the risk then you probably need to put it back. If not, then probably not. But either way it doesn't matter which way it opens.

So are we saying that there is not a legal flat or apartment in the land with an open-plan kitchen diner?

Thank you all for the useful advice,except ban-all-sheds.
OK - fine.

Spend your entire life taking the word of officials and "surveyors" telling you that you "have" to do something, and regard any suggestion that you might like to find out if there is any justification for their demands as unhelpful.

Tony will back you up - he will assure you that nobody from any council Building Control department anywhere has ever got anything wrong.

Spend your entire life taking the word of officials and "surveyors" telling you that you "have" to do something, and regard any suggestion that you might like to find out if there is any justification for their demands as unhelpful.

At school, we were taught not to answer a simple question with another question :) .
As I see it, OP asked a simple question, and your response was three questions, fired back, staccato-fashion. Maybe that's what got his back up !
:LOL:

His question was positioning a door because "I have to get the door,frame reinstalled to comply with standards and future visits by surveyors".

I thought it would be useful to know what standards were being enforced by whom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back