DPM and finished garage floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

was wondering if i can again canvas some opinion.

I am building an extension including an internal garage. The ouside wall is also retaining.

I am now wondering about the DPM.

I have had a look on the sight and found an image of Freedy

which is a detail i think would work nicely. However i would rather not pour the final concrete floor whilst still bricking up. i want to polish the **** out of it for a nice workshop floor.

So i was thinking do the same type of detail. But have the DPM extend about 1m internally, roll it up out the way an carry on building.

i was then planning on blinding the slab with an inch of sand (is this overkill). Unroll the DPM sitting under the inner skin, and then lap and tape the new DPM up to it, and finish at the internal floor height.

sort of like this one.
View media item 6296Thanks hotrod.

I can then pour a beautiful slab, and polish it to death, and not let anyone walk on it untill it goes really hard..

What do people think of this as a plan?

Your advice is always gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Concrete before build, whenever possible. You've got your walls to tamp off and it's easier to get the DPC & DPM right. As for polishing I'd suggest a power float, this has to be used before the walls go up, so you can get to the edges and corners.
It will be rock-hard after power-floating and will be OK to work off the next day. You can always put a couple of sheets of plywood down if you're concerned. :)

Hi ,

the middle age un, are you the younger brother of the old 'un?

thanks for your thoughts by the way

On similar questions

Is there any problem with having a concrete finish on a conservatory floor opposed to a sand cement screed.

The garage floor is quite big, and there is a coservatory, utility and porch floor to do, so i was thinking about hiring a pump, and finsihing all the floors at the same time.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea?

Cheers
A

I dont know your background in this kind of thing , but shuttering and any groundwork, and then pouring and working the pour, is pretty demanding and unforgiving. Your sectional drawings, and levelling, must be spot on.

However, dont screed, use the slab as the only base for floor coverings.

You must assemble a few helpers and have all preparations and tools ready.

Supply the concrete people with job and access details and they will decide on chute-in or pump. Pumping can be expensive.

A retaining wall involvement up's the complications, so pics of the site would help.

Sponsored Links
Hi Tim,

i have done a few bits and pieces.

Structural engineer designed the foundation / slab, which is all poured. I got some good guys to pump it in, and i layed it down, 17 cubic meters in total. and the shuttering didnt fall apart, absolute pig to get off mind.

i am getting a laser tomorrow, so will be able to see how sucessful i have been.

i think i may be out 30mm over 10m, but i used a water level and think its a bit ****, so will have to wait till i get the laser going.

So you sayin just use concrete and polish it as a floor covering instead of using screed.

so out of interest why do people screed stuff?

A

Are you saying that since posting you've poured the slab? Or that it had already been done before the OP?

In residential work, you dont "polish" the surface after its set-up, you do it as the last part of laying the slab. Water levels ( no bubbles ) are dead accurate and simple.

There are a number of reasons for why screeding was done, and is sometimes done now-a-days.

Hi Tim,

Its a slab/ raft foundation that i have pumped and layed.

I now have to put down a dpm, and pour the final slab?

So my original question was about combining the specs on the dpm, pictured above, then holding off on pouring the finished surface.

However the advice of using the blocks to tamp off seems sound.

So now wondering why use screed over a concrete base. Is it just the fact that it is easier to work with and that you do it in smaller sections?

cheers

A

Adrian,
I cant keep up with you as to quite what you have so far done, or intend to do. Possibly others can help you better. Perhaps do some research on the issues that you raise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back