Drying out new concrete floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise on a realistic time for the drying of a new concrete floor before laying laminate boards. I have searched on the web and the general opinion seems to be 1 inch per month, or 1mm per day.

However, I have also seen conflicting advice which suggests that this is a an old rule of thumb and that a shorter period of time say 1 month for a 5 inch thick floor would be fine. What do you think?

If the 1 inch per month rule should be followed, can I shorten this by using moisture resistant underlay?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
a shorter period of time say 1 month for a 5 inch thick floor would be fine. What do you think?

I think i'd like to know where you saw that ?

If the 1 inch per month rule should be followed, can I shorten this by using moisture resistant underlay

Actually trying to trap the moisture in the floor would not seem a smart thing to do,

Can't remember where I saw it, but agree, sealing the moisture in might not be such a good idea.

1mm per day is correct.

You should also take a relative humidity reading of the floor before laying, it should be <75%, if you can't or don't want to do this (you really should) increase the drying time by 50% to be safe.

Sponsored Links
Agree with AS above. You should really dry it until it reaches the correct MC for the product - solid timber would be different to engineered. 1mm per day is a good guide for tiles or laminates. A lot less is fine for carpet. Also make sure you fully acclimatise the product before laying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back