Enlarging a hole in concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to look into installing new (thicker) oak gate posts to replace softwood ones that have rotted. Having had a quick dig around the old post there is a huge amount of concrete around it, so I would like to basically enlarge the existing 6" hole to make way for my new 8" oak post. The depth underground appears to be at least 3' of concrete/rotted post.

Is there a machine that would do such a thing, or are there companies that come out and drill a bigger diameter hole? Or am I stuck with digging out the huge plug of concrete (and all the corruption of the driveway that would follow)

I put this in building rather than Gardens as it seems like a more hardcore job, just what you lot like!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Nightmare.

We would typically dig down at the (most accessible) side of the concrete, right down to the bottom then peck away at the sides allowing the material to fall into the vacated space.

We would also leave the old post full length (if possible) for a bit of leverage.

The problem with trying to dig out the old post is any tool point or chisel is likely to just slip and wedge into the wood.

:idea: dynamite :idea:

mmmmm 3' hole depth - cant see it being poss to access that depth from the side. I was hoping something would bore the hole lot out! I can probably get the stump out, bit by bit (maybe) as its loose/rotten.

I hired a Kango breaker a few weeks ago 18 quid for the day,it should make life a little easier.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back