Extending garden brick wall height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a retaining garden wall, as far as I know it's about 100 years old.

I need to raise its height to screen the garden from the road. I could build a fence behind it but I'd rather build up the brick wall if at all possible.

It's about 3ft and I'd want the it just over 6ft.

It's all vertical, and other than some bits which need repointing, it seems in good condition.

Some questions I had:

1) It's only a single brick in depth. If I find matching bricks and a good brickie, could it be extended upwards, or will the weight be too much for the original foundations?

2) I've seen the building guide about using 2 or 3 brick depth for this height. Rather than thickening the wall, could we build columns in the inner side to strengthen it?

3) What sort of budget should I allow for this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That wall looks knackered to me, at the height that you want, it will have to be double skin so that means you will have to start again, or build a fence.

That ain't much of a retaining wall. Forget adding to it and the fence will look tish! Better off planting a hedge! And then you can ignore freddie twins aswell! Everyones a winner!

Sponsored Links
Apart from the other problems stated above, you will never ever get any bricks to match and any new brickwork on the top will make the whole thing look crap

Counting the inner/outer courses it's only "retaining" 3-4 courses...more like generous backfill than a retaining wall.
Good advice from the others- plus it already has piers/columns added to it so trying to "retro-strengthen" it would look awful from inside the garden...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back