Extension roof pitch – what is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of building my extension, I am planning to amend my plans and resubmit the application with my planning department to change from a flat roof to a lean to type roof.

What is the slope that the roof should have? I am finding it difficult to find the answer online.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Often you would try to match the existing house pitch and type of roof tile which in tunr would determine the pitch. There are other factors though including asthetics and ensuring there is enough height for flashings etc. You won't find a definitive answer online because it doesn't exist.

FMT, are you saying that one can't simply plonk a roof on? :rolleyes:

And there is absolutely nothing on Google about this?
facepalm.gif

Match the main house roof if you can - but that's usually not possible due to windows above the extension. If that's the case then go as high as you can - up to the underside of the windows - but leave enough room for flashings. If the pitch ends up particularly low make sure you can get suitable tiles. i.e. ones that will suit the low pitch.

Sponsored Links
It's also worth bearing in mind that the pitch (angle) of the roof tiles will be a couple of degrees less than the pitch of the rafters, could be important if you have a low pitch!

It's also worth bearing in mind that the pitch (angle) of the roof tiles will be a couple of degrees less than the pitch of the rafters, could be important if you have a low pitch!
The pitches as quoted by manufacturers refer to the pitch of the roof not the actual angle of the tile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back