Feeding AV cables from side of chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

i would like to feed some av cables hidden away inside a chimney breast in my living room. My chimney breast has been built only upto the height of the living room and DOES NOT extend into any rooms above. The ACTUAL chimney which is hidden within the chimney breast is much smaller (approx 2ft by 2ft) and the rest of the chimney breast is hollow. Also the ACTUAL chimney DOES go into the above bedrooms.

Now I want to drill a hole to the left cheek and the front of the chimney breast to allow me to feed wires through, thus totally avoiding the actual chimney.

So my questions are:-

1. If i do a smoke test and all is okay, then is this safe?
2. Will any heat damage the cables even though they are not running through the actual chimney, but near it?

chimney2.jpg

Sponsored Links
could you at least please tell me why :confused: ? Because i'm thinking that any fumes/heat should escape via the builder's opening and shouldn't be escaping into the breast - because if this was the case, then i'd be getting fumes into upstairs bedroom.

Sponsored Links
i don't know why your answering in riddles hotrod, but i'm not playing any games and i honestly don't understand why if someone made a small hole in the side of a chimney breast (not the flue lining!) that would be a cause for concern...of course unless the flue lining was leaking, in which case its dangerous anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back