Filling the footings to make sure it is level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I'd just like some advice on how to make sure once the footings are dug that the concrete will be level when pumped into the footings.

The hole will be 1.5m deep and the concrete will be 1.2m deep.

I have been advised to use a water level kit.

1) I should get a steak and dig it into the bottom of the footings. The steak must be at least 2m long.

2) Dig the steaks at either end of the footings at least 50cm deep so that it is secure.

3) Measure 1.2m from the base to the top and mark it off.

4) Use the water level kit at either end of the footings.

5) Once I've used the water kit then I should get some string and use that as a level.

Is this correct? Can someone advise me (without being too patronising!!) as this is the first time I'm going to do this. Should I be using lots of steaks?

Thank you in advanced for your help.

Sponsored Links
Don't you have a laser level?

Water levels went out with the dinosaurs.

Hammer in some pins to the measured height all around the edge of your trenches. Use a spirit level to keep them all level with each other then you should get pretty close when you pour.

Sponsored Links
I used this level for my footing. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Quigo-Self-Levelling-Cross-Line-Laser/dp/B0042RU82W

Pretty handy tool and worked well for this job and many more. Tripod not needed as it has an adjustable clamp.

I cut a dozen or so lengths of dowel and hammered them into the side of the trench at the level every metre. I then spray painted a splurge at each dowel so I could find them once the concrete started flowing, it all worked well and came out pretty level.

There are many ways of achieving a level datum for found's.

We mostly peg the trench every couple of metres and hammer one in where there is a change in direction.

The most recent job we used a laser and spray paint to spray a level line around the trench. This was because the foundation trench was 2.4m deep and the pegs would have been 1.8m (out of the ground). Far to long a peg to stay upright when pouring the conc.

Pegging is the simplest. This gives you a solid datum onto which you can tamp when levelling the conc.

If the soil is particularly dry (ie not clay) then expect the conc to shrink down the pegs a little as it cures.

At the moment I'm at work so I haven't had a chance to read through most of the responses. I will do later on today though. Thank you again.

Don't you have a laser level?

Water levels went out with the dinosaurs.

But they are still in use today because they have never been known to fail because the batteries ran out. :LOL:

Ok so there's still a few dinosaurs around unwilling to embrace the new technology. :LOL:
A nice wee set of optical levels would do the job too and no need for batteries!

We mostly peg the trench every couple of metres and hammer one in where there is a change in direction.

Pegging is the simplest. This gives you a solid datum onto which you can tamp when levelling the conc.

If the soil is particularly dry (ie not clay) then expect the conc to shrink down the pegs a little as it cures.

Excuse my total ignorance but what do you mean by 'pegging'?

I wouldn't get too concerned about it. Deep concrete will find a pretty good level when lightly tamped. More important to get your first couple of courses of blocks level.

If your getting into an excavated trench 1.5m deep to do pegging there's a danger you'll be buried alive.

Needs shoring props before you venture in!
Or the other option is stay out. :idea:
Those of us with our cscs (construction skills certificate scheme) safety site cards are aware of these dangers.
Without the card we wouldn't have a clue! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back