Finding a builder - recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times... but

What is the best way to look for a builder? I have a project that I want completing but honestly just have no idea where to start.

Does anyone have a good step-by step guide for finding a tradesperson and what to look out for?

Sponsored Links
Recommendations from friends or family.

Speak to old customers and go and see completed work.

Have a contract with the builder.

Make sure you have his home address.

Even Google his name /company name and see if there are any complaints.

These will do for a start.

Andy

Yes ask around people you know who have had work done. A surprising number of people who own their houses will have had building work done.

There are actually a lot of good builders out there, you just need to find them. Obviously they will try to charge as much as they can and in return you need to try to pay as little as possible. All part of the game. Also helps if you know what to look for when they go home at night so nothing is hidden for more than a day. But they are not all cowboys, you just need to find the good ones. I'm having some work done now and have more good builders to quote than I want to.

If you just want to find a tradesman then it's harder. A good builder will do that work for you (for a cost of course) but again ask around, though it is tougher.

Obviously they will try to charge as much as they can and in return you need to try to pay as little as possible. All part of the game. Also helps if you know what to look for when they go home at night so nothing is hidden for more than a day. .
A quote is firm and binding - if you want to haggle , go to a market - in Egypt :mrgreen: . If you know what to spy on when the trades have gone home - you`ll know enough to either DIY or be a tradesperson yourself :idea: . If the OP posts some more general details of what is needed to "complete the project " , more specific advice will surely follow.

Sponsored Links
And if you need plasterer - there's one is Suffolk. ;)

Well Nige F,

Is a quote firm and binding?

Only when accepted.

Now the interesting question is whether a builder's quote is an offer or an invitation to treat. And that is a tricky one, but if a builder quotes then I consider it an invitation to treat. You obviously see it as an offer. If we don't agree then you get look for work elsewhere and I look for another supplier.

And when I get the builders in it generally means I don't have the time, strength or skill to do the work myself.

Consider the scenario where an engineer specifies a 200mm bearing for a 500kg beam that is going to hold up the back of my house. I am quite capable of measuring the bearing and telling the builder he has only got 150mm on there and it needs sorting. I have no ability to put that beam there myself.

If it makes you happy think of me like a building inspector :)

Very important, in my opinion, that the householder is not frightened to check up on what the builder is doing to his house. How you handle it is where it gets interesting.

Now the interesting question is whether a builder's quote is an offer or an invitation to treat.

The concept of "invitation to treat" only applies to a business displaying [suggested] prices for goods for sale, and "inviting" the consumer to purchase by making an offer at the suggested price - which the business either accepts or declines. It is the customer who makes the offer to buy, and not the business making an offer to sell

Unless the builder has some sort of menu of prices for certain work and a premises where by the customer can visit and look at what's on offer and the prices, then the concept of invitation to treat can not apply

So it is completely different to an offer in the context of a builders quotation for doing certain work

Well it matters not woody as at the end of the day I am not bound until I accept. If he doesn't like that he can quote for other work.

Aha, I edited as you posted.

Yep, that's what I said......

And it is still an interesting question, I never actually said what it was, did I ?

But if you were to hold me against the wall and twist my arm behind my back I'd agree with you. But where's the fun in that :)

Wow thanks all - you really had some good tips that I'm taking on board.

I did a quick google search and ended up posting a job on mybuilder.com. Will let you know how it goes experience wise but have been speaking to a couple of tradespeople so fingers crossed!

It all came about after reading this article on their site http://www.mybuilder.com/help/advice_on_hiring_a_builder which is quite handy.

But my next question - would you agree on everything in it?

Wow thanks all - you really had some good tips that I'm taking on board.

I did a quick google search and ended up posting a job on mybuilder.com. Will let you know how it goes experience wise but have been speaking to a couple of tradespeople so fingers crossed!

It all came about after reading this article on their site http://www.mybuilder.com/help/advice_on_hiring_a_builder which is quite handy.

But my next question - would you agree on everything in it?
I wouldn't touch a builder from that site or the multitude of the other similar sites out there unless their seemingly perfect records can be checked out. Funny how they all get 100% satisfaction?

Friends and family recomendations are far better than any register out there //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1599295#1599295

you can also walk around local roads to see people who are having similar work done, make a note of the date and address, and ask the tradesman for his card. Go back a few weeks later and ask the householder how pleased he was with the wotk, the cost, and ask if the tradesman was in the habit of unaccountably disappearing for long periods instead of getting on with the job.

Avoid people who have only a mobile phone no and no real-world address.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back