Fixing up a lean to shed - can it be done?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone - sorry for another question.

I'm having external wall insulation fitted on my house. I currently have a small lean-to shed at the back, very basically constructed out of brick. I want to detach it from the house so the insulation can go all the way around. But I'd like to keep some kind of shed if at all possible as it's really useful. I was wondering whether it's possible to 'recycle' the current building?

It's about 3m long by 1 m wide, and is currently divided into two "rooms". I'd like to knock the first two to three feet away from the side connected to the house (this is where the first door is) and build a new end wall. I'd then knock the current dividing wall away to create one large 'shed room'.

Can this be done? Or should I resign myself to losing the shed or paying a fortune to knock it down entirely and rebuild in brick?

Sponsored Links
1m wide? Doesn't sound worth saving to me.......

But apart from that little quibble, everything is possible. You'll have to build a reasonably substantial wall (full brick at least) to replicate the support the thing is getting from the house, and yes you can build that wall inside up to rafter height then reduce the rafters away from the house. All sounds like a pain and a lot of hard work- why not just buy a new freestanding shed- you'll get a decent one for less than a grand.

Or just fit the external insulation inside the shed- what'll you lose, 6 inches?

All sounds like a pain and a lot of hard work- why not just buy a new freestanding shed- you'll get a decent one for less than a grand.
blank65x10t.gif
whssign.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back