Floor junction with existing cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, i'm a newbie so please be gentle!

I am currently building an extension to the rear of my house and could do with some advice on the junction between two different floor types. The house is 1930's built with a cavity wall and suspended timber ground floor. The existing rear wall has been supported and removed (ground floor only) and the existing cavity taken down below the internal floor level. The existing timber joists run perpendicular to the rear wall, so the joist ends are on show (they appear to be supported on cross members). The new extension has a concrete slab which has been laid and damp proofed, leaving me with the screed to finish it off. My question is what to do with the existing cavity wall? I am thinking of just bringing up the existing internal skin with blockwork to the top level of the flooring to provide a barrier to the screed, making sure the dpm is lapped up the face of the block. Would this be sensible or not as i'm a bit unsure?

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Fix a timber or a length of 18mm ply along the joist ends forming a shutter or a stop end for the screed to but up to.

Have under-floor air vents been extended through the new extension to continue venting the existing timber suspended floor?

Hi noseall,

Yes, the ventilation has been extended under the new slab with pipework and periscope vents.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will follow that one.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back