Free cavity wall insulation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are hoping to get cavity wall insulation before next winter and were expecting to pay for it. However, there seems to be all sorts of free deals and grants out there, some dependant on circumstances, some not, some requiring you to be with a certain provider etc etc. This has all confused me somewhat as I do not want to pay more than I have to. There seems to be many websites where you can sign up for free loft and cavity wall insulation but it smacks a bit of all the companies offering PPI refunds, there must be something in it for them. Also, what is the quality of the work with the free deals? My energy provider is Eon and they do not appear to do any free deals, just a customer discount. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The companies get a grant to subsidise the installation costs. There is nothing shady about it

I had mine done via www.energycareukltd.co.uk , it cost £100 a couple of years ago which was less than half the cost of the "subsidised" prices from the energy suppliers

If you get certain state benefits, then you would get it done for free

We got it installed 2 months ago. It was £100 when we started getting leaflets when we moved in 18 months ago, then £50, then £FREE, so we went for it.

Lots of holes and pumping later we have a much cosier hall and stairway (gable end) and nothing wrong with installation as far as I can see.

I expect you own the property, otherwise you need permission from landlord/owner.

That is right, if you are entitled to reduced price or free insulation, the insulation company gets paid directly by the relevant authority. You need to complete a form that the company can e-mail you.

You are entitled to free or reduced price insulation if you are elderly, getting tax credits or on benefits. Local authorities have regional variations on entitlement. Otherwise, it is not expensive £150-£300 dpending on house size and region.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back