Garage floor slab Problems - very dusy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking at a quick easy way to sort out my garage floor (thick slab over DPC). Unfortunately, not sure what mix they used but it appears as if the lime is coming out of the mix creating absolutely loads of dust! I have tried sweeping it, but unfortunately, sweeping is actually creating as much dust as it is collecting!

If I rub my foot over the surface hard, I the surface is rubbing away like chalk. I had a quick go with 15 litres of stabilizing solution, unfortunately, it didnt do anything and the surface is very much the same. I am considering how I can screed off this surface to create a relatively strong dust free surface. With it being a garage, it needs to be fairly crack resistant.

I have seen 2 part resin screeds, but these look expensive, as do rubberized red or blue garage flooring finishes. I have considered a thin trowelled cement screed, but as I am looking to simply coat the top of the existing floor level, I am not too keen to lose too much in the way of height.

I was considering a 1:1 mix of cement and sand and apply it like a slip or cream on top of the PVA'd slab to a thickness of 5mm, but not sure if this will work! I want something that is cheap but will last, any suggestions? All the cement screeds I have looked up online suggest 1:3 or 1:4 and reccommend it being laid almost dry, suggesting it has to be laid to some depth (50-60mm?) for it to be effective.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Concrete floors are always dusty until sealed/painted. Try this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-concrete-seal-5ltr/95634[/QUOTE]

The other problem I seem to be having is that the slab is uber, and I mean UBER absorbative.... its not like a normal slab that will suck a certain amount of moisture, it is like a sponge. 5 litres of stabalizing solution didnt go very far at all, as by the time I poured it onto the surface, the majority had soaked into the surface...

I am concerned its going to take a hell of a lot of that sealant to do the job, and was wondering if a thin very strong cement mix could do the job instead?

A thin layer of anything cement based is likely to break up.

You may have more success with a floor levelling compound but i doubt it and would not recommend this method either.

The only thin layered material likely to work are either epoxy based or rubber/synthetic screeds.

Sponsored Links
A thin layer of anything cement based is likely to break up.

You may have more success with a floor levelling compound but i doubt it and would not recommend this method either.

The only thin layered material likely to work are either epoxy based or rubber/synthetic screeds.

OK, thanks for that! looks as if I am going to have to dig deep in the pockets then! ;)

2 part epoxy paint. Don't waste your time with the single part garage floor paints. I applied a really thinned down coat - almost milk-like, let that dry then a couple more progressively stronger coats. I chose a sandy colour mixed rather than the traditional battleship grey. You can choose any RAL colour.

http://surface-tech.co.uk/ this place. They sell through ebay too.

and when your adding the resin don't try mixing it with a stick. Buy a small paint mixer for your drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back