GAS COOKER IN CHIMNEY SPACE??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I have a chimney in my dining room / kitchen.

(to the side of the chimney - above the oak unit - thats just plasterboard hiding some old pipework dont worry about that)

Above this downstairs chimney is another chimney breast - in the bedroom.

I am not sure I want to knock it down both upstairs and downstairs due to the amount of work this would involve and the hassle to kids bedroom.

so i was wondering whether i can place the lintel support thing above on my chimney and use this place to house a cooker?

if so - can somebody please advise of the work involved ??

planning permission?
plumbing?
electrical?
gas?
other?

i would really appreciate. i really like the below peoples use of their respective chimneys....

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
yes, and provided you don't knock out any of the side walls it's not usually too big a job.

You will require Building Regulations approval and gas/electric certificate as appropriate.

Consider:

steam and odour extraction - lots of steam disappearing up the chimney may not be a good idea; you may be able to run an extraction duct up the chimney especially if the upstairs fire isn't in use

space next to the cooker for hot pans etc - no room to the side of the cooker means no room for pan handles to the side

my chimney has been capped off i think....so it would probably have to be a pipe that collects all steam?

starting at the top of the chimney and runs out the side of it maybe then into the garden?

the chimney is 300mm - and the cooker depth is 600mm....so the first two hobs will be fine....but i take your point re the second

my main concern was actually the lintel.....can it support it that hight up??

we are talking around 6 foot in height if i have a hood fan type type thing at the top....!

i really hope it can hold!

it has to support what's above the lintel, not what's below.

Depending on the age of the building you might find that the structural lintel is surprisingly high anyway, if a solid fuel range would have been original and the fireplace has subsequently been infilled for decorative reason.

Sponsored Links
No Blg Regs are required.
No elec cert required if electrician is part-P.
Gas: Local Authority Compliance Cert will be issued if GSI informs them.

Read Similar topics at the bottom of this page: feb 2013 and nov 2007 and use the Search facility.

Is this an external wall?
Is the floor solid or suspended?

You must have the flue swept and smoke tested for fire and fumes safety.

Perhaps read up, and then come back here with further questions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back