Giving access to neighbours builder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I live in a semi and at the rear have a lean-to, next door want a rear extension which I have no objection to. However there builder wants to remove the side of my lean to so he can get better access to the side wall he is building that is next to my lean to wall, my concern is my lean to wall he wants to remove is wood structural in that it supports the roof. I would prefer it not to be removed as even though the neighbours said they would put it right they havent kept to there word on other parts of there build plus once this wall is up there builder wouldnt be able to put my wall back as is anyway.

My question is is the access they want a must have or does it just make it easier for them ? I ask because many people would build rear extensions next to there neighbours existing one and you wouldnt expect to ask your neighbour to knock there wall down so you could build yours ? Ive tried talking to builder but his english limited so waste of time, the owners not very neighbour considerate, I dont want to fallout with them ive been patient on so many things but Im loosing my patients now.

Sponsored Links
I would expect he needs access, so the builder can do a better/easier job.
Why dont you say to your neighbour (I assume you dont want to fall out), that has there have been things in the past not completed as expected, that you want a sum of money so that any rectification works is paid for up front.
Maybe £500 or £1000.
Others may have other ideas.

I'd be very concerned at the builder wanting to remove the wall. How does he propose to support the lean to roof whilst the wall is removed? It's certainly not going to support itself. You need to think very carefully about the neighbours request before giving permission. How well does the neighbour know the builder? He could be one of these cowboys , featured on the BBC and Channel 5 programs and leave both you and your neighbour deep in the brown stuff.

EDIT,, Just noticed that the builder isn't British/ English.. I for one would be extremely wary.

Sponsored Links
The thing is ... can you trust him to his word?

If not, save yourself a load of bother and say no. Even if it all got rebuilt, what happens 6 months later when it starts to leak?

Any competent builder can build overhand and achieve a good job

Don't know anything about the building bit - but have experience with a 'problem' neighbour and letting them get away with more and more things because you don't want to fall out...
They will continue to be more and more inconsiderate and in the end you will snap and it will be all the worse because they are so used to walking all over you...and you will be less likely to be reasonable in the future because you have lost your patience with them ...and communication will have broken down completely so even minor things like painting a fence can become an issue... :(
I agree with DIYisfun...
My advice for you now (very important - before you lose your patience!) is to express your concerns about the builder (so not them!)....and say you are happy for them to demolish the wall - as long as (in advance) they pay you in cash the amount another builder quotes you for replacing the wall.
Then depending on the job their builder does for them you can either pay him to the job - or the other builder.
And they have a gentle reminder that they can't just do anything and you will smile and let them...without it becoming full out war...

You are gonna open a can of worms if you let him remove your wall.
Do not let him, like you said he wont be able to put it back as is, due to the new wall, therefore its a no from me!
The new wall should not be touching yours anyway. Has this extension got PP, where are the plans, have a look at them, where are the boundaries? Is he doing as specified? I think not!
It also worries me that the builders english is not good, can he even read the spec/plans! You are perfectly within your rights to tell him fudge off!

If he can't build a wall from one side then he's no brickie - just tell them no.
They are paying peanuts so they've got a monkey.

Have you asked to look at the plans...

Is next doors extension wall a cavity wall, and they're aiming for the outer skin of the cavity to be on your property (and therefore part of their foundations)?

Or will theirs be a two skin cavity wall built on their property, and then they'll reconstruct your wall separately afterwards?

Either way this brickie will be constructing one of the walls without access to the outside part, or is the proposal to bring both walls up together?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back