Help with wall type & how to prep please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently brought a 70's house and have spent most of my time so far removing the vinyl paper that seems to be in every room!

The walls do not look to be plastered and my vigorous wall paper scraping has left me with an inconsistent wall surface; the areas where I have taken the surface layer off show what looks like cardboard or fibre board. How should I prep this?

I was thinking of an emulsion & water mix, followed by filler but is that suitable for this type of wall & what is it?

Help please!

Sponsored Links
If you can upload a few photos of the wall surface and any damaged areas would help on the wall type.
Is this wall surface type common to all rooms and external and internal walls?

Have a look at some plasterboard in the DIY shed, and see if it looks the same as your wall.

If it's the internal of the board you have exposed (taken the plaster surface off) The old paramount boards used to have a cardboard corrugated centre.
A bit like some of them Revel sweets!

Sponsored Links
I have uploaded some images to an album so hopefully you are able to view. Looking at the wall around a recessed plug it does look to be plasterboard but it have never been plastered or skimmed from what I can see.

The top coat is a green paper which reveals a brown paper layer and then the fibreboard type texture. Would I just use a emulsion and water mix on this or pva?

It's common wall board. You will have to skim plaster it, or line it with some heavy lining paper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back