Hoping to put long dormer in roof at rear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a detached chalet bungalow built in 2007, built as a chalet bungalow. Upstairs there are 2 bedrooms at the back each having 2 velux windows one above the other facing rearward. Front already has a dormer.

I am looking to replace the velux windows (all 4) with one dormer across the back containing 2 windows same poistion as veluw approx. Dormer stopping maybe 6-9 inches from each side of the bungalow.

I will need both PP and BR.

I think I am going to have to get a structural engineer and an architect, but before doing all that is there anyone who can give me an idea whether this is going to be a massive job, and whether the fact that it is already a chalet bungalow makes it more or less costly (or just the same cost).

There is a storage space under the roof (near eaves) for storage thus we have a 3-4 feet high vertical plasterboard wall to the bottom of lower velux and then ceiling slopes back. we would hope to extend the existing wall upward.

I guess rafters would need to be cut etc and maybe alternative woodwork/metalwork put in for structure.

I added the 2 lower velux windows in the loft with BR checking so much of the internal and maybe external stuff I could do but I imagine the structurakl stuff needs to be done by and experet.

Anyone happy to give some general advice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes your thinking along all the write lines get in arc and get him to do the stucture calls as well . And ask him if he knows any good loft conversion co to build it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back