how to break up concrete with clay pipe underneath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i need to put a plastic Y connector to a clay pipe,my problem is getting access to the pipe in order to cut it ,as it has thick concrete on one side and on top.My concern is that when trying to break up the concrete i will break the pipe underneath.Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I assume you are talking about pipe encased in concrete.
In which case, I'm sure that you will break the pipe.
How far do you need to go back to find pipe that is not encased in concrete?

unfortunately the pipe is covered in concrete all the way to the manhole cover as its underneath a concrete path.I suppose my only option is to replace the whole pipe back to the manhole cover :(

As far as I know, that's your only option, but others might know of a work-around.

Sponsored Links
It is possible to pick away at the concrete in order to expose enough pipe to be cut.

However this will depend upon the strength of the concrete, the depth at which you are working, your skill and the age of the pipe.

It is probably best to try and tease away the material at the sides without actually undermining the pipe as this will allow it to be able to drop. Next pick away at the top but in shear as opposed to direct downwards hammering.

If it is old salt glaze then you need to be either well away from any joints, i.e. in the middle of a pipe run or right on a 'male' joint end. Being close to a joint is risky.

You will need to be very patient and have some sharp chisels about. We can tame our breaker down so that the hammer action is reduced for this kind of work, although the finer work has to be done by hand.

I've often cracked the pipe when almost at the end of the cutting. You need a lot of patience and a bit of luck, but it can be done. Really small chisels are handy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back