how to fit shower tray on suspended floor, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing my mother-in-laws bathroom for her, she is over 80, not very well off, and needs to get rid of the bath in favour of a shower.

I am looking at the tray she bought from B&Q (hope that does not make you go “oh no”). It is a quadrant 1200 x 800 resin composite and quite slim line. I don’t think she will go to the cost of tiling the floor, I suspect some sought of lino product or stick down tile. The bathroom is suspended floor and she likes the slim line tray.

How should I fit this tray, i.e. hoping to keep it slim line

1. Are the floorboards a possibility for mounting the tray on to?

2. Should I put anything on the floorboards like ply, if so what thickness?

3. If I have to use ply, would it be a possibility to remove the floorboards
in the shape of the tray and insert a piece of ply instead, i.e. maintaining the slim line look?

4. Would the Bal Rapidset I have be any good for sticking it to the floor/ply?

5. If not what should I use to stick it down correctly?

6. Do I need to prime/coat the surface/floorboards/ply with anything?

Any advice/info appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have checked the waste and it looks like I will just be ok by a few mm. It is not going to be a wet room but I am going to use a tanking kit in the shower area as seems common good practice to do this.

Thank you for the link but I don't think it will help my case much as they go on about cement and 2 man lift (mine is quite light in comparison) and a stone tray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back