How to measure skip size.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been told by friends that there is a malplactice in skippys world.
When someone orders for a 8 yrd skip,they sometimes get away with 6 yard as the customer has no way of telling.How to check the size please.Apologies if the question sounds daft.

Sponsored Links
Get your tape measure when its being delivered....

Generally speaking....

6yrd - (HLW) 4' x 8'6" x 5' approx

8yrd - (HLW) 4' x 12' x 5'6" approx

A lot of skips also state 'Level load only' on the sides. Amazing how many cant read that, pile the skip up above the sides and actually try and get 8 cu yards worth in a 6 yard skip!

Sponsored Links
A lot of skips also state 'Level load only' on the sides. Amazing how many cant read that, pile the skip up above the sides and actually try and get 8 cu yards worth in a 6 yard skip!

Only 8?? If you get creative with couple of old bits of wood,you can get at least 12 in there!! :D

Overloaded-skip-1024x768.jpg

overloaded%20skip%201.jpg
OLskip34.jpg
OL_skip_2.jpg

overloaded-skip-2.jpg

I had a 4cy supplied when I had paid for a 6cy, so I overfilled it to approximately 6cy. After arguing with the driver for a bit he called the office to get me charged more so I simply showed him my payment receipt. It was then taken without any more fuss. Nowadays I tend to just use hippo bags. They are about twice the price of skips locally, but are a lot more convenient unless you have loads of concrete, etc, and use 10+ a year and you get 10% off (basically the bag for free).

There would be a simple solution if I had of been sent to pick any of those up. The skip would either have remained exactly where it was until sufficient waste had been removed, (and it's always someone else's rubbish on the top....), or the lifting arms would have been lowered to level with the top of the skip, and the vehicle reversed in order to knock all the surplus off the top..... The remaining would have been lifted and removed.

You don't get 7 cu metres of concrete if you pay for 6, or a pint and a half in the pub for the price of a pint, so why should you pay for 6 yards and have 8yards+ of waste removed?

Nowadays I tend to just use hippo bags. They are about twice the price of skips locally, but are a lot more convenient unless you have loads of concrete, etc, and use 10+ a year and you get 10% off (basically the bag for free).
How are hippo bags more convenient if they are double the price and are limited as to what they can carry? :confused:

How are hippo bags more convenient if they are double the price and are limited as to what they can carry? :confused:
They are not limited, per se, just the usual restrictions, but to get rid of 6cy of old concrete you would need six smaller bags which is around £340 compared to £250 locally for a 6cy skip. The convenience comes from being able to site them off the road (and avoid the extra £60 license), and you can carry them in the back of your van and use them immediately without having to book a drop off.

£250 for a skip! Bl00dy hell, I can get a large skip, fill it as a mixed load (Excluding asbestos of course) and it costs me £120 all in.

Unfortunately Landfill tax is now sitting at £72 per tonne (+ VAT of course....) for all non inert material, and getting rid of anything is not cheap anymore. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back