Installing a chimney - is it possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't intend to this myself (too difficult and dangerous!!!)... and I know I would have to speak to building control/planning but...

Have been looking to move house but stay in the area for years ...
Very few houses here that meet my requirements...even fewer come onto the market... I've found one -it needs work but thats fine it that ticks all the boxes except 2 .. one its just outside my preferred area -but am prepared to compromise on that ...

The other is I would really really love to be able to have a fire/multifuel stove ...but this one doesn't have a chimney...

It is two storey, detached, built in 1975 with brick cavity walls. Floor is suspended wood (pretty sure - haven't looked!)
Currently has a gas fire flued through the wall.

Not expecting drains on that side of the house (bathroom, loo and kitchen on other side ).

Know you can have a flue installed but have only seen images of single storey houses...

So for 2 storey does the flue go through the room above (like a proper chimney) and if so how much space do you lose (that's not the biggest bedroom!)

Is it possible to build a brick chimney on the outside wall? How much width would you need?
Approx Cost??? (ie tens of thousands, few thousand, a 100 quid (in my dreams!)

(I know in current housing market this is unusual - but it probably won't hang around - so need to make a decision ...and this info will help me...)

Sponsored Links
You can run a metal flue through the floor and the roof, or take it through the wall at a lower level and up the outside of the house.
You could also have a brick chimney built, either an external or internal one, but this is the most expensive option.
An external one would leave you with more room inside, and you could have an open fire with it, but it would mean digging a foundation, breaking into the house walls, putting leadwork in and taking the cavity wall up to the top and forming the stack.

Thanks - so it is possible and without losing space in the upstairs rooms...fantastic

Any idea of costs? Cheapest option more or less than £5k?
How much mess to install?

Needs £20k+ spending on it anyway - nothing has been changed since it was built - fantastic turquoise bathroom suite! (Actually tempted to keep - very retro!)
More than another £5k would push it to very top end/over my budget for now - so it might be a longer term plan - but I'd much rather do all the messy stuff before we move in...

The cheaper option should be less than 5 grand, but the dearer option would probably be more. You need to get a number of estimates first.
For an external brick chimney you would have to come out about 13 inches from the facework.

Sponsored Links
/multifuel stove ...but this one doesn't have a chimney...

So for 2 storey does the flue go through the room above (like a proper chimney) and if so how much space do you lose (that's not the biggest bedroom!)

)
It goes through the bedroom and you`d end up with a c.15 inch square box from floor to ceiling :idea: Have a look at HETAS - they cover all solid fuel etc. appliances etc. and installers have to be registered - like Gas Safe

I recently drew up plans for a new chimney to an external gable wall. The builders quote was £11.5k but that included the solid fuel stove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back