Is this a Victorian soil pipe vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've got some awful pointing that needs attention on an 1890 house.
There's a strange device, that I've never seen before, connected to the combined foul/surface drain:

Is that what the Victorians used to vent the foul gases from the pipe? Or is it something else altogether?
Can it be removed completely so the repointing can be done and some suitable cover be put in its place?
If so, what could it be replaced with?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It would seem from the number of views that we're all in agreement that it's a Victorian soil pipe vent? :)
I was surprised they were that low.
Surely, even they kept them high up?
Can I just remove this thing?
What would I replace it with to close the hole on the clay pipe underground?
Thanks.

Thanks for that.
I did search, but didn't find anything about it. Just searched again and found nothing.

So it's to allow air into the system to prevent the syphoning of water out of sink and bath traps?
It can be removed, as long as there is an AAV on the current plastic (above ground) soil pipe?
At the top of the current soil stack is a basic Terminal Vent. That should allow enough air in when necessary to enable the removal of this relic?
Any ideas on what I can use to seal the hole left if it's removed?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
put some screwed up newspaper down the pipe and cement it over ;)

I take it that the Terminal Vent at the top of the plastic soil pipe will provide the required air admittance to remove this thing then?

The newspaper is just simply temporary to support the cement until it hardens?
Thanks.

Should be an interceptor trap in the manhole, providing a seal between house drains and main sewer. To provide a flow of air through the house drains the Victorians fitted these vents, idea was air passing over the top of the stack would create a slight negative pressure in the house drains, the vents would then allow air to be drawn in thus ventilating the system.

It is an early attempt at an AAV, unfortunately due to the positioning they sustain damage easily, and many fail allowing odours from the drain to escape where they're not wanted.... :(

As Nige has said, its not really needed, remove it and block the hole. Yes, the newspaper will provide a temporary support while cement hardens. :cool:

I have a simular relic in my front garden. As the sewer and manhole in my driveway are a section 24 public sewer (serves 4 houses), would I have to get the local water authority involved if I wanted shot of the relic? It's in a border so not really in my way but if it's not needed then I will break out the lump hammer.

Get rid of it. If anyone asks questions (highly unlikely) then plead ignorance. Wont affect anything other than make your flowers smell sweeter. ;)

I will break out the lump hammer.

I was wondering the best way to remove it.
I assume that the clay pipes must be the originals from 1890. Would it be better to drill some of the mortar out first, so less force is needed with the hammer?
Or is there some other trick that you experienced types would use to remove it?
Thanks.

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum, but run a drain clearance business so have come across a few of these.

I'd take it out very carefully, digging down a little to expose an undamaged connection if posible - DON'T drop any rubble in though or you may cause a blockage and wished you'd never touched it.

If you can't find an undamaged connection without hitting Sydney Opera House, you might need a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a diamond blade to make a clean cut if you can get in to do it. You can buy a plastic bung from Buildbase or other outlet for less than a fiver which will give a good seal if your not keen on chucking mortar in the pipe. Bury the repair in soil and forget about it.

Occasionally I can jet away a blockage from the interceptor through one of these so it might be worth thinking about putting in a screw down rodding eye just in case - at least it won't stink and it won't look unsightly

I'd take it out very carefully, digging down a little to expose an undamaged connection if posible

Isn't that the undamaged connection that I've exposed?
Thought the joint would need breaking at the top of the larger diameter cup socket in the picture?

You can buy a plastic bung from Buildbase or other outlet for less than a fiver which will give a good seal if your not keen on chucking mortar in the pipe. Bury the repair in soil and forget about it.

Got a link for the device you mean?

Occasionally I can jet away a blockage from the interceptor through one of these so it might be worth thinking about putting in a screw down rodding eye just in case - at least it won't stink and it won't look unsightly

Again, do you have a link for what you describe?
Thanks for your help.

sorry i don't have a link. If you pop in to any decent merchant they should be able to sell you a bung - normally they are made from plastic or rubber and push into or slide over the pipe. Thetype that slide over normally have a jubilee clip to secure it in place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back