Joining tiled roof to slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I'm new to this forum, joined especially to ask advice from any knowledgeable people on an issue:
My mum lives in a terraced house with a slate roof. Her neighbours very recently had their roof replaced with a ceramic tiled roof. This all seemed to go according to plan, however when my mum had her gutters replaced, the builder who did them said she ought to have a look at the roof as it seems that when the roofers replaced the neighbours roof they haven't joined it to her roof properly.
I went to have a look and I think it looks terrible. i've attached some photos to show what it looks like.
Looking on the internet, it seems that a bonding gutter should have been used. I can't see that this has been done (although its hard to tell), but either way surely it's not right that it looks like this?

She mentioned it to the neighbours who got in touch with their roofers who said it was meant to be like that, as the roofs are different materials thats how it is. The neighbours are happy with this explanation but my mum is stressing out completely and I can't blame her as I cannot see how it can be right?
What does anyone else think?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
If I was your mum's neighbours I would be asking the roofers to come back and finish the job properly, because bonding gutter or no bonding gutter, the finish is appalling.
It looks like they have just used any old offcuts at the join. There is potential there for leaks although it looks more likely that the leaks might be on the neighbours side.

Also, if the original finish was slate, the tiles may well have doubled the dead load to the rafters, which could have its own problems.

their roofers who said it was meant to be like that,

80555-jack-nicholson-laughing-gif-DuRf.gif

Also, if the original finish was slate, the tiles may well have doubled the dead load to the rafters, which could have its own problems.
I think fibre cement slates weigh less than real slate.

However, it does not detract from the fact that it is an appalling job.

Sponsored Links
I think fibre cement slates weigh less than real slate.

However, it does not detract from the fact that it is an appalling job.
Oh, hang on, when the OP says "ceramic tiles", do they mean the fibre cement slates on the left? Is it the original real slate on the right?
I obviously hadn't looked closely enough last night.

In that case it looks like they haven't made good on the OPs mum's side and need to come back to finish it properly, or there could be issues with water ingress.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Glad everyone agrees it's appalling. Shame the neighbour is seemingly happy with the word of the roofer that it's meant to be like that. :confused:

Well you can tell your neighbour they have been had as those tiles are poor quality, and I thought they had been discontinued, Your mums slates will still be good for another century. Ask your neighbour what has happened to the original slates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back