Knock through kitchen to dining room - new house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, we have a 'new' house, about 5 yrs old, and we are considering making an opening (arch?) from the kitchen through to the dining room. At the moment these are two sep rooms and it would be good to have french doors or perhaps just an opening, decision would hinge on cost.

My other half has estimated that this would cost thousands, but then again he is not the most practical of people (!). I don't want to waste builders time quoting if we are looking at about £3-5k for this kind of job because we just couldn't afford that....

There would not be electrics to relocate as far as I know (no sockets near the proposed opening) but neighbours tell us there would need to be a lintel should we remove the whole wall (not sure about just an opening). I expect that the wall is the usual plasterboard / modern house job, certainly not solid brick. If anyone can provide a ball park cost that would be great - and sorry as sure this question is asked a lot.... We would be happy to do the painting & decs to make this right after the job by the way.

Many thanks, Ruby

Sponsored Links
Creating a large opening in a structural supporting wall will cost x,
whereas knocking out a metre wide opening in a stud partition will cost y.
Worst case (structural wall) i.e. needling, steel, making good, arch form etc, should cost in the region of £1500 tops, for the building work.

As for electrics, have you considered the lighting layout and how you will operate the switching from the new opening?

Many thanks for the reply.... much appreciated! That sounds a much better idea of a quote, I think my husband may have been trying to put me off due to not wanting to spend money...

The dining room has existing electrics and a light switch which operates independently, and we would be happy with that arrangement still. Apologies if this is not what you meant and I am being dim! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back