Loft staircase removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, I have put this under building as it contains multiple questions not just about the loft.

I have had a change of heart and now want to make more room in the second bedroom and remove the stairs leading up to the loft. The stairs and loft were 'converted' a long time ago, and I use that term loosely. The stairs leading to the loft from the 2nd bedroom. I plan to remove the steps I need and then I will then put a new stud wall and ceiling, plasterboard, to create a little walk in wabrobe.

This means I will need to open up and widen the old loft access door on the first floor landing, this will require me to cut through a joist and then reinforce.

Now when someone put this staircase to the loft in I assume then have chopped out the joists.... Should I reconnect the joists (sister up and bolt through) and then lay some flooring to re-establish the floorspace in the loft?

I am just worried that loads were cut for the stairs and I need to cut another for the new hatch.

I have attached a rough plan to show the layout before and after.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Before:

View media item 92724
After:

View media item 92725
Existing loft hatch:

View media item 92723
Current access to loft:

View media item 92722 View media item 92721

Sponsored Links
Cracked on with it today... Loft door fitted to new opening. New timber fitted with timber brackets to strengthen the opening.

1 thing that did annoy me was that the 2 walls closest to the hatch are not perpendicular and I couldn't twist the frame as the door wouldn't fit.. but don't think its too bad?

Will be scraping off the artex and repairing the holes that can be seen... Then ready for papering.

Hopefully Monday I will start to close off the existing stairs. Where I am rejoining previously cut timber joists (3x2") should I nail, bolt or screw?

View media item 92760

Few more pictures...

Loft opening

View media item 92777
Ceiling joists to be rejoined

View media item 92779 View media item 92778
What I am most concerned about is that someone has cut 5 ceiling joists.... What should they have done to do this correctly as I suspect that the downward load is less of an issue compared to the force trying to spread the roof. Looking up at the stairs the RH side is a main supporting wall, LH side is stud wall. Can I realistically repair this without involving BC?

Sponsored Links
Really surprised nobody has replies... Not even to give positive criticism :)

Anyway, could really do with some advice on rejoining the ceiling joists? I want to get this done before I close up the access from the second bedroom.

Also, I was thinking of replacing the sides of the loft opening with single pieces rather than what has been done above... Would this be stronger?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back