Mould in fitted cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I built a fitted wardrobe that backs onto an exterior wall about a year ago. The wardrobe went across an existing vent. Thinking that the vent would help to create airflow I left it open. I also created vent holes in the cupboard inside the room, to assist the flow of air.

I'm starting to get a bit of mould appearing and now questioning my judgement (I had wondered at the original time of making whether I should seal up the vent - I even bought the silicone).

However, I've done a quick search on various sites (including older posts on this one) and putting an external vent in has been suggested as one of the best remedies to mould in fitted cupboards on external walls, a number of times.

My questions are: Was I on the right track? or should I be sealing up the vent (?expanding foam?)

The window next to the cupboard gets a lot of condensation - is it just this - ie damp from inside the room being the problem? Do I just need to dehumidify?

The cupboard is solidly built so I'd rather do as little taking apart as possible...!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Increase the ventilation from the cupboard to the room

Insulate the cold external wall within the cupboard.

The vent to outside probably isn't helping as it's reducing the temperature in the cupboard. If trickle ventilation is needed provide it to the room as that is probably where the moisture is being produced.

Sounds to me like the room itself suffers from a general moisture vapour issue. Ventilation is good but as suggested above insulation is good as well. As a general rule; reduce any moisture sources - such as drying clothes on radiators. Open trickle vents to bedroom windows. Consider mechanical ventilation from bathroom/kitchen. More specifically; cross ventilation through the cupboard will help. i.e. vents top and bottom.

Thanks for the responses.

There aren't any trickle vents in the room as it's still the original sash windows - I presume their inherent draftiness doesn't necessarily work towards removing the moisture in that the way that trickle vents do?

I definitely take on the points about general moisture in the house.

If the external vent isn't helping, should I instead seal this up and as you suggest create more vents from the cupboard internally within the room?

Insulating would be very difficult without deconstructing cupboard. If I was to do this, is something like Kingspan a good idea here? (say 15mm) but then wouldn't that decrease airflow unless I make the space behind the cupboard even bigger?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
If it's any consolation we have the exact same issue.

We moved into a new place a year ago and quickly noticed black mould in the NE corner of the wardrobe.

I cleaned it all up with Dettol mould & mildew remover (which does an awesome job BTW), and we then left the offending cupboard door open about 10cm during the daytime.

Seemed to cure the problem.

Sadly we got complacent over the summer and forgot to keep leaving the door ajar. When we had a cold snap a while back after a few rainy days the problem returned.

After cleaning it all up again, I have installed a wardrobe heater (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wardrobe-Heaters-12-Watt-Heater/dp/B005HVR3I4) to try and solve the problem.

One thing to check - do you have solid walls (no cavity)? We do, and the walls are freezing, also a contributor to the problem.

Finally - before you go rushing off installing extract fans in your kitchen and bathroom: even though this is a good idea, check the other rooms in the house for levels of condensation on the windows. If they are generally clear of condensation but your bedroom is streaming then the source of moisture can only be the stuff in your room (not kitchen or bathroom). I.e. you and your mrs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back