Mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The house next door has been empty (and therefore stone cold) for many years and we have a constant battle with mould growing in our hallway.

The main bedroom has built in wardrobes and the clothes are getting ruined with mould - suddenly appeared in the last month.

Humidity levels around the house are between 50-70%.

Sorry if this sounds a silly question, but the weather report says humidity is 87% - am I wasting my time carrying on opening all the windows to vent the place?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Sorry if this sounds a silly question, but the weather report says humidity is 87% - am I wasting my time carrying on opening all the windows to vent the place?
87% is Relative Humidity, which could be for a temp of 5C. When the air comes inside and is heated up the R/H will drop a lot.
You need to get the right balance with the heating and ventilation.

There is a relationship between humidity, air temperature, surface temperature, and dew points (the temperature at which air condenses on a surface)

All this is relative. The humidity levels you have measured are normal, and not high

So no, you are not wasting your time

Thanks for the replies -

I measured the temperature of the walls in our house, and found the side with the empty house next door is only 15C whereas the others are all 21C.

Any tips on how to stop the mold in the wardrobes? I considered cranking up the heating to eventually warm the wall, but I bet thats going to cost a fortune.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
The wardrobes will be difficult as the mould likes to feed on the chipboard or hardboard glue on the backing panel.

You just need to read up on all the ant-condensation advice - there is a FAQ somewhere on this site

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back