Moving Gas or Electric Meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just wanted to know from anyone with experience, which is cheaper to move, gas or electric? Both meters are in the same cupboard currently on opposite side walls, i am removing the cupboard so would like to box the meters in and put a window in the rear wall, but i don't which meter would be more cost effective to move, any ideas?

Thanks
Nick

Sponsored Links
From my experience Electrics is the most expensive. But you should be able to get a quote from both free. Contact your providers for quotes, it is not something you can employ an electrician or Heating Engineer to do.

Edit:
Correction - Your Gas Safe engineer may be able to move your gas meter (if he has the right qualification), but not the incoming Service Pipe. However, it does sound as if either one or the other supply would need to be moved. Also when you move electrics do you also need to move the consumer unit (fuse box)?

From my experience Electrics is the most expensive. But you should be able to get a quote from both free. Contact your providers for quotes, it is not something you can employ an electrician or Heating Engineer to do.

Edit:
Correction - Your Gas Safe engineer may be able to move your gas meter (if he has the right qualification), but not the incoming Service Pipe. However, it does sound as if either one or the other supply would need to be moved. Also when you move electrics do you also need to move the consumer unit (fuse box)?

Thanks, wouldn't they need to move the incoming service pipe to move the meter though?

Thanks, wouldn't they need to move the incoming service pipe to move the meter though?

Probably, in which case the National Grid would need to move the service pipe. I don't know how far from the service pipe the meter is allowed, but would have thought it will not be far.

I have recently learnt that you could use your own suitably qualified Gas Safe Engineer to move the meter, but not the Service Pipe. Or you can just get the National Grid to do the lot. (For the small distance that applies in your case) Download the guide linked below.

http://www2.nationalgrid.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=22930

Get a quote for the electrical as well - things change and sometimes vary with regions. So it won't hurt to check.

Sponsored Links
A lot can depend upon whether you are shortening or lengthening the service.

Shortening is likely to be cheaper.

Where abouts in the country are you?

What's the incoming service cable, plastic or lead? Wood or concrete floor?

Pics would help.

Moving the electric meter wouldn't be a problem, what about your consumer unit etc, are they in the same place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back