New door opening close to corner - How close can I go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

I am after some advice with regard to cutting a new opening in a wall close to a corner.

My extension comes straight out from the original gable end of my house, and I need to cut a doorway through that original gable wall, which is of brick/cavity/brick construction.

The new wall is Brick/Cavity/Block and has been attached using Wall starters.

I need the new doorway to be as close to the corner as possible, and am not sure if there are any specific things that I should be considering.

What I need is dimension 'X' in the following picture to be as small as possible.

I am assuming that I will fit a lintel as normal, and go with the usual 150mm bearing at each end.

If I am careful, and cut the bricks out right out to the corner of the internal skin of the outer wall, I could have 100mm of the lintel buried in the wall, with dimension X being 50mm.

If I don't stick the lintel into the inner skin of the outer wall, then I am guessing that Dimension X will need too be the full 150mm of the bearing end.

Any constructive advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The BCO is coming round next week, but like normal I want to be armed with good info before he arrives, so that I can tell him what it is I am going to do.

Cheers
Gary

Sponsored Links
If you're prepared to dig into the original wall you can have x=0.

Your structural engineer will be able to design a lintel and method of work.

The internal skin on its own may not be enough to support the bearing end of the lintel.

It may be necessary to put the lintel across both skins of the wall, or even to have a T lintel with the top of the T extending along the old and new outside walls.

If i remember correctly Part A BRegs says something like 660mm odd from corner (externally) for openings.. there is also some formula if opening is large and taking floor load.. as your new opening looks more like a door size i would have thought that 660mm from external corner should be fine.. Any less and in theory BRegs may ask for SE calcs for small pier..

If i remember correctly Part A BRegs says something like 660mm odd from corner (externally) for openings..

Yes, but would the corner still need buttressing now that there is a new extension wall off the corner?

From past experience, BCO's do not consider this arrangement as a corner due to the new extension, and so the doorway or opening can be flush if need be - but in practical terms there is normally a bit of a nib to allow for full door opening and the lever handles

Sponsored Links
Agree with Woodpulp regards buttressing + extension.

We have chopped a doorway or opening flush or close to when the wall is being stabilized by the additional masonry.

However, all other factors within the existing and new building are taken into consideration by the S.E.

For example, in some instances it is ok to cut flush whereas in others the S.E. may add a bit more buttressing as well as a detailed re-build of the jambs in say engineering bricks rather than just fill in the cavity with block slips.

Thanks guys.
I will speak to the BCO about it, and will go for the simplest option that he is happy with.

Loading from above is minimal because this is the first floor and so above it is the eaves section of the original gable wall, and ceiling joists run parallel to the wall.

Thanks guys.
I will speak to the BCO about it, and will go for the simplest option that he is happy with.

Loading from above is minimal because this is the first floor and so above it is the eaves section of the original gable wall, and ceiling joists run parallel to the wall.
The fact that there is minimal loading or a lack of masonry above can sometimes work against you regards structural stability.

If i remember correctly Part A BRegs says something like 660mm odd from corner (externally) for openings..

Yes, but would the corner still need buttressing now that there is a new extension wall off the corner?

From past experience, BCO's do not consider this arrangement as a corner due to the new extension, and so the doorway or opening can be flush if need be - but in practical terms there is normally a bit of a nib to allow for full door opening and the lever handles
Would completely depend on how new extension wall and foundations are tied into existing.. if you fully dowel/underpin foudations as well as bonding wall in then sure the small pier would not be required..
My info was only relevant if he doesnt get an SE involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back