new extension

Sponsored Links
What your neighbour is 'thinking' of doing has nothing whatsoever to do with the council. You'll just end up with a permanent neighbour dispute that will devalue your property. Just talk to the guy - you have to live next door to him.

What your neighbour is 'thinking' of doing has nothing whatsoever to do with the council

You don't know if this is true or not, unless you ask.

The guy who's planning on building "Something" doesn't seem to know what he's building yet!

You may end up with something built out of scrap from the tip with a naff UPVC window over looking your garden sat on your boundary wall!!!!!!!!!!!!

Planning and building regs apply to all sorts of things.

Only two years ago in a neighbouring county I and my neighbour had to apply for planning to replace a shared boundary wall like for like in a back garden that already existed that was only 1.3mtrs high, we also had to work to building regs. We found this out half way through demolishing the wall when we had a knock at the door. In my home town (Different County) this wouldn't of been required. There may be council rules disallowing any kind of such work where they live altogether.

[

Only two years ago in a neighbouring county I and my neighbour had to apply for planning to replace a shared boundary wall like for like in a back garden that already existed that was only 1.3mtrs high, we also had to work to building regs.

Unless you've only given part of the story here, that's nonsense. You don't need planning permission to build a wall 1.3m high in a rear garden, and boundary walls are not a Building Control matter.

Either I'm missing something, or the council acted well beyond their powers.

Sponsored Links
This is now going off topic.

Re my garden wall, they were only three things possible, one: whoever shopped us was almost certainly some other neighbour, was a council member or new somebody!

Two: the properties are in a conversation area or three: 12yrs earlier there used to be a public footpath at the bottom of the gardens that used to run through (Not alongside) all walls of every bodies gardens. This footpath was diverted 12yrs earlier and no longer exists. The council on this occasion never did give good reason after much discussion etc.

Here's an other one in a different county again, in a conservation area. existing 2.8mtr high boundary wall onto a public footpath that was falling down. I wanted to demolish the wall and replace it and build a 6mtr X 4mtr extension "Sunroom" behind it in the front garden. No brainer I thought i'll need planning for the sunroom and the wall replacement shouldn't be a problem at all. No, not at all. On submitting a "Do I need Planning Permission" application form for the sun room, the council said:

You need to apply for planning permission to replace the wall "BEFORE" you demolish it, then I need to apply for a demolition order to commence. I will need to apply for a temporary footpath closure notice before work starts and you don't need planning permission for the sunroom but i'll have to work to building regs for both.

In a quite corner I asked someone what would happen if one stormy night the wall should accidently over on its own! the chaps reply was: normally I would be allowed to simply build like for like without planning, however because we now know that your planning on replacing it its in my best interest to make sure it doesn't fall over on its own. A councilman actually visited a few days later unannounced and decided to close the footpath immediately and have the wall demolished and removed at there expense, I was allowed to start rebuilding immediately afterwards with permissive planning approval at no expense to me but still had to work to building regs.

This is now going off topic - It's not in the best interest of the original query for me to continue to ramble, i'll not be contributing any further here.

To satisfy the requirements of Approved Document E 2003, a separating (party) wall must have habitable spaces on both sides of it.
There are currently no options for a composite party wall, where one side / part is formed in timber frame, and the other in masonry. Therefore Building Control are likely to take a keen interest in how the requirements of AD-E are going to be met.
Very often to avoid this, people build extensions to dwellings alongside rather
than attached to existing (exposed) adjacent walls. This takes away the requirement for it to conform to AD-E, but can cause problems in the longer term, because the base of the void between the two walls can become filled with leaf litter and other blown in debris, which can cause damp issues if allowed to build too high. Typically a mesh which allows air to circulate between the walls but prevents blown debris from entering solves this issue.
Quite how a timber wall would be maintained in a situation like this would be a good question.
Where the wall is formed as an exposed wall, (rather than a party wall) a U-value of 0.28 W/m2K must typically be achieved.

Sorry for the delay been away from here.

Chap certainly does know what he's doing and we talk regularly. he's a good guy too . He has served notice with the local BC as we got a letter through to confirm and the outline plan is on the web. He is also employing a local architect to complete the design so it will be submitted and comply.

It is to be a kitchen dining room extension.

I asked him about the foundations of the party wall being affected but He suggests he doesn't need proper foundations a slab will suffice as it's a single story timber frame. I don't know or particularly care as I don't live there. Either way BC will either confirm or not once full design is submitted.

Also he has decided to be off the party wall (our conservatory is built up to it already) and leave a 150mm gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back