New house out of square

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a timber frame house built, they've done the ground floor but not yet put on the first floor joists, all panels have been bolted to the sole plate. Had a look round this weekend and noticed some of the walls are out of square, visibly so.

To give one example, one room is approx 3m x 4m, north wall is 1 inch longer than the south wall. Put a square rule in each corner and it's miles off, approx 15mm per 2ft.

Obviously, gonna have to have them put it right but my question is, are there acceptable tolerances for squareness? and does it differ between types of contraction? i.e., brick, timber etc.

Sponsored Links
We square any of our structures using a Lecia Rugby 280dg laser level.
So over a 100m distance the structure will be within 5mm of accuracy.

Oh dear! On the room mentioned measure accurately 4m one way & 3 the other and mark with a pencil. For a true right angle the diagonal measurement should be exactly 5m. I'd say tolerence would be 30mm.
If it's more than that it's up to you to get them to alter it. Hopefully it won't mean altering the footings!
Let us know the diagonal measurement please :)

it is about 20-30mm. (hard to measure on your own)

the problem is the corner of the room, when you put anything square in them, looks bad.

Sponsored Links
I do'n't think modern builders, certainly spec housing ones, care a dam about square. I have had an extension built on my bungalow, I set it out personnally dead square at footings level, gave the block layer a 4ft square, and by roof height it was 2" out. I got over this with the wall plate to keep the roof square. When the builders had gone I was doing the finishing work and found 6 window openings with out of square reveals, and the kitchen at worktop height 1" out in 4ft.

it is about 20-30mm. (hard to measure on your own)

the problem is the corner of the room, when you put anything square in them, looks bad.

doesn't sound too bad (the diagonals) but if you can see the corners"out" it suggests it's more than that?
See what the builder says tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back