New joist after removing chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have got a builder removing the chimney down to the upstairs ceiling and doing all structural roof and slate repairs. I will remove it fully down to the bottom - due to the cost involved, but I was wondering about the floor joist once it is removed. I will use acroid props, but when I bridge the gap in the floor joist do I just bolt an appropriate piece of wood to another joist. Is a foot overlap ok? or do I need to try and put new ones in wall to wall.
My chimney is big (approx. 2m by 0.7m) and in the centre of my house. The structural engineers said no calculations were needed to remove it just make good the floor and partition walls. I will remove the metre long wall either side of the chimney (its made of clay lump, breeze block size, so very heavy) and replace with partition wall

Anything I should look out for?

Cheers for any advise

Sponsored Links
Were the floor joists resting into the chimney, or are they supported clear of the chimney by a timber trimmer?

The point to consider is - what will be the load/use etc. For instance if this reclaimed area is solely to be a ceiling then simply fitting a frame, filled with joists in line with the existing ones, that should be fine. But if it's to take traffic as a floor, how the load is spread must be considered.
Could you post a sketch, detailing load bearing walls etc.? ...pinenot :)

The point to consider is - what will be the load/use etc. For instance if this reclaimed area is solely to be a ceiling then simply fitting a frame, filled with joists in line with the existing ones, that should be fine. But if it's to take traffic as a floor, how the load is spread must be considered.
Could you post a sketch, detailing load bearing walls etc.? ...pinenot :)
It's 2m x 0.7m Pinenutter not 20m x 7m. :rolleyes:

As said, if the chimney was previously trimmed out then all you need do is pop in a similar sized depth of timber as existing and fix it in between the trimmers. Otherwise fix into or onto the exposed wall.

Sponsored Links
Hi
the area will just be used for a dividing wall between bedrooms once the chimney is down, but it is the wall with the doors on so you will walk along it as such. i'll try and get pictures - its boarded up at moment as its a total renovate
Cheers for replies hope to get better description soon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back