Optimal bricklaying mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Very sorry as I know this is a frequently asked question. After a rushed few days to get everything ready for the brick layers which start tomorrow, I'm ready and excited.

So that I can keep an eye on them and not get messed around in any way, what is the ideal sand, cement, plasticiser ratio for laying bricks and blocks?

Many thanks

Mac

Sponsored Links
Thanks woody, I accept that as an answer :D

Will let e guys get on with it, but will hope for a 3:1 for below ground and a 4 or 5:1 for the above ground works.

Sponsored Links
Basically, the stronger you make the mortar, the stronger you make the wall.
But the mortar only needs to be strong enough in combination with your bricks/blocks to carry the loads applied. Where loads are high - such as underneath beams - a stronger mortar might be required, possibly with stronger bricks/blocks too.

1:5to6 is given in BS5628 and has a compressive strength of 4N/mm2, and is strong enough for most timber floored domestic properties.

And the more inflexible and less tolerant to normal movement.

What's "stronger" .... a wall with cracks and debonded mortar, or one without?

I suppose it depends whether the wall is a in railway bridge or a front room

And the more inflexible and less tolerant to normal movement.

What's "stronger" .... a wall with cracks and debonded mortar, or one without?

I suppose it depends whether the wall is a in railway bridge or a front room
Yeah, I wouldn't be using a 1:3 mix as standard in a domestic situation, but then a well designed modern masonry building doesn't need to be as flexible as an older one, as foundations should be of a suitable depth, and if required bed joint reinforcement, or movement joints (or both) should have been installed.

The stronger mixes are really only for heavily loaded piers or sections of wall.

I think there are literally so many variables that the text book guides are a bit meaningless, and make it irrelevant. Anywhere between 1:4 and 1:9, but you wont ever know unless you use some impractical site testing and monitoring

You are just so reliant on the gangs competence in general.

I bet you wont see them mixing two different mixes for the brickwork and blockwork though :D

Looks like the armchair task force are having an away day. :LOL:
Regards theoldballerinahoddy. ;)

Come on then granddad, grace us with your wisdom on the optimal mix and plasticiser for the OP.

And please don't come back with a poxy 1:4 for brickwork and 1:6 for blockwork

Come on then granddad, grace us with your wisdom on the optimal mix and plasticiser for the OP.

And please don't come back with a poxy 1:4 for brickwork and 1:6 for blockwork

One of the few pleasures left to us in life is winding people up. Never thought we would get you to bite woody.
Our mix is very simple.
Five/three and half mixer with the inlet side on the right when viewed from the engine. Water butt 12 metres away from the mixer so that additional air is entrained in the water on the walk back. 25 shovels of sand from a full throat shovel, 25kg dust and two egg cups of Feb Admix Powder Not liquid. Egg cups to be medium size. Water content with us, is very hit and miss. Depends on what way the wind is blowing and whether the hose pipe is froze up
If you pass this mix on to any future bricklayers you employ, then you will be very pleased with the results.
Regards Grandaddy :)

And you use the same old mix to every type of brick or block, in every type of weather, and for loamy or sharper sand?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back