PD Rights on Side Extensions L Shaped house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have now added a plan showing front of my stable conversion it is in an L shape the front is shown on the plan and it has a porch. I have a certificate of lawfulnes on the house and the land.

I have been told today by a local builder that Bromley Council may try to deem the extension as a rear and side...??? Any ideas on this, he said it is because it is an L Shape. As i understand it from the portal rules that it can be half the width of the house at its widest point which is 15.4 m wide.?? HELP..!!! please, thanks in advance. i have no restrictions on pd rights, i am in the green belt, but not a conservation area or anything like that.

Sponsored Links
Is the dotted line on your plans your proposed extension? This thread needs to be amalgamated into your original one.

Yes, the dotted line is where i would like the extension to go...thanks

I am new to the site so i have no idea how i would amalgamate it.. ?

Sponsored Links
Well you are not adding anything to the rear so why you or your builder would think it may be classed as a rear extension is a mystery.

It would be classed as a side and front extension as you are extending beyond the front elevation. As such your proposal would not be Permitted development and would need a Planning Application. You would need to keep the front of your extension in line with the front (set back) line of the existing house for it be PD, this would then be treated solely as a side extension. In the PDF document I linked to in your original thread refer to page 14: this clearly identity's the line of the principal elevation and building beyond this is not Permitted Development.

If the overall width of your house is 15.4m then the maximum width you can build is half ie 7.7m

I have asked the mods to amalgamate this thread with the original one.

That is how i understood the portals rules, but i have had such conficting answers... So effectively my side extension can be 7.7m wide by nearly 13m deep, providing that is stays under the 4m height, and does not go past the front elevation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back