Penetrating damp problems ... HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. Please help with some advice. We have a Victorian semi which is now driving us mad. The main issues are around damp which appears to be penetrating our bedroom wall. I have only recently redocorated the bedroom which was showing small signs of damp but these are now alarmingly obvious with new paint. I have photos which illustrate how damp the brickwork is after rain on the exterior. The brickwork only appears damp in cetain areas and this is centered around the dormer window. The bricks are sodden at times. We are getting extremely frustrated as we have put money into small roof repairs ( flashing etc ) and nobody can tell us if it is roof or brick related. There is no felt beneath the roof tiles and the roof is itself old. The wall is possibly in need of pointing and has lime mortar. The wall was also treated with cavity filling 18 months ago. Someone please advise me if this could be rain water running from the roof/ dormer valleysp enetrating pointing work and down the brickwork or rainwater leaking through the roof tiles and somehow entering the cavity. As you can see the interior shots show a number of interior patches. These appears much more pronounced in freezing weather. Any help and advice will be gratefully recieved.

img20121228142706.jpg

img20121228152715.jpg

img20121228142618.jpg

Sponsored Links
as i cant get the picture up my guess would be that its coming through the roof , you say you have a cavity in the brickwork so i this should prevent rain ,damp passing form external to internal

No piccie visible. Check the guttering.

Cheers all. I really appreciate any help with this. I have now enclosed photos on my album. Guttering is all good. I am concerned about rainwater flow off roof and onto wall but....

Sponsored Links
That's a serious amount of wetness. You'll have to get a ladder and get up and have a look at the flashings/soakers etc. It shouldn't be hard to find a problem that size.

Can you get into that part of the loft?

Going by the staining alone, there seems to be problems with the parapet copings, the dormer roof, dormer side flashings, and the eaves soffit behind the gutter

There should not be that amount of water running down that wall

that wants doing sooner rather than later , looks like the copeings and flashing on the sides have failed

Again many thanks to all who have offered advice on this. I have been up with a ladder a few times but am struggling to locate causese. I reckon i am going to have to replace the coping stones at top of dormer, strip all the surrounding tiles and replace with felt and lead flashing. Probably repoint brickwork. Bloody dormer window is the root of all evil!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back