Plasterboard across 2 surfaces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See in this photo, i have to span plasterboard across brick and a partition that separates me from another flat.

I'm putting up insulated plasterboard, it's Ecotherm 37.5mm stuff, which I've already put up in the bathroom, but that was onto solid walls. It was put up using dot and dab in the bathroom.

I was planning on dot and dab the parts that touch the brick, and then 100mm plasterboard screws into the frame of the partition. Any suggestions regarding this method and how to ensure that I keep the boards flat?

Also notice I discovered black mould inside the partition. I was planning on putting a bit of anti-mould paint inside this cavity. Is this a good idea?

(by the way, I haven't finished stripping the old plaster in this photo)

Sponsored Links
You'll need to put in sound insulation, which may have thermal properties that affect the electrical cables (which, BTW, are illegally installed - you might like to tell the people next door).

As for the mold, you must find and eradicate the actual cause, not just slap some paint on it.

Thanks for the tip on the soundproof, however I don't need sound insulation here due to the rest of my design that goes on after the board i'm putting up.

My question was regarding straddling the board across different surfaces.

Regarding the source of the mould. You're right, I should get to the source, but in case I don't solve it, I though some paint would help - especially as when I plasterboard this up, I'll never be able to get to it again!

I guess the cause is that's the neighbours kitchen and there are gaps where the electric sockets are where moist air can get through and condense.

Thanks for the tip on the soundproof, however I don't need sound insulation here due to the rest of my design that goes on after the board i'm putting up.
It's the performance of the wall which has to comply with Part E.

Regarding the source of the mould. You're right, I should get to the source, but in case I don't solve it, I though some paint would help - especially as when I plasterboard this up, I'll never be able to get to it again!
Inadequate, IMO.

I guess the cause is that's the neighbours kitchen and there are gaps where the electric sockets are where moist air can get through and condense.
Then those gaps must be sealed.

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind, this isn't a new wall, this partition was put up in 1979, and I wouldn't have necessarily even seen inside here. Only yesterday, whilst I was stripping the walls, I saw the black mould, so decided to take off the mouldy plasterboard and re-do it. At what point do regulations come into play? Obviously when someone buys a flat already converted, they are not expected to renovate the whole flat to comply with current regulations. Anyway, I'm putting up 25mm insulation, 12.5mm plasterboard, then after that my kitchen goes in which incorporate a another 200mm false wall on top of that. That's going to be pretty sound proof.

Also, what is illegal regarding the electrics? What needs to be done?

Then those gaps must be sealed.
I'll seal them. What shall I seal them with?

Thanks

So do I need a party wall agreement to hang up a tv on a party wall? That would require a bit of drilling.

Where is it documented ? Under what conditions I need the agreement?

I've just read this:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_partywall_explain_booklet.pdf
Part 2, Section 6 reads that re-plastering doesn't need the agreement:

"The key point is whether your planned work might have consequences for the structural strength and support functions of the party wall as a whole, or cause damage to the Adjoining Owner’s side of the wall. If you are in doubt about whether your planned work requires a notice you might wish to seek advice from a qualified building professional."

Bear in mind, this isn't a new wall, this partition was put up in 1979,
Yes, but now you are renewing it.

At what point do regulations come into play?
When you do work to which the regulations apply.

Obviously when someone buys a flat already converted, they are not expected to renovate the whole flat to comply with current regulations.
No, but any work done now must comply with any regulations which apply to it now.

Anyway, I'm putting up 25mm insulation, 12.5mm plasterboard, then after that my kitchen goes in which incorporate a another 200mm false wall on top of that. That's going to be pretty sound proof.

Also, what is illegal regarding the electrics? What needs to be done?
Well - didn't know they were done in 1994, so they weren't illegal then. (They would have been had they been installed like that after 2004).

Still dangerous though - the cables are not in acceptable locations for concealed wiring:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

I'll seal them. What shall I seal them with?
Silicone, I guess, but that will impact the neighbours, ability to remove/replace accessories. You should get together, recognise that you both have a damp & mould problem, and jointly agree a solution.

Yes, but now you are renewing it.

But I'm not renewing a wall. I'm taking the surface plaster off, which is falling off anyway, and putting new plaster on. Anyway, I already replied with a link to regulations, and it appears I don't need the agreement.

Thanks for your feedback on this and the other topics.

You are renewing the element between you and the adjoining property - Part E applies.

Sorry, but the planning portal guidelines don't say anything about 'renewing elements'. They quote renewing plaster (is this the element?), and say that this is ok. It's pretty clear.

Anyway... thanks for your interest in deciding if my work falls under regulations, but it's not what I asked about. The other 3 flat owners and myself share the freehold, and if there are problems with the building, we sort it out. I'm not doing anything dangerous, I'm repairing some shot plaster. I'm not getting a party wall agreement.

My question was about advice on the work to be done, which still hasn't been answered.

Just fix to the brick and then batten out the timber section as appropriate to match the correct depth. Make sure to overlap the join between the two walls with full boards. Easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back