Please comment on my basement excavation plan.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,
I just joined so a quick introduction.
I'm a South African who lived in the UK for 7 years and last year I moved to Slovakia permanently. We have inherited a old stonewall family house in the village which we now want to change a bit to suit our needs.

One of the things we require is to drop the floor of the basement, which is about 1,5m high to the ceiling at the moment. We need to fit a wood&gas burning boiler and tank in there so we need ~2m which is what we are going for.

The basement floor at the moment is a clay composition at the moment which stays damp but not wet. It was used to store the potatoes & veg over summer.

It is quite an old building with thick plastered stone walls and I just wanted someone to check my idea for the excavation as it will be going below the level of the original foundation (by about 30-40cm).
Please bear in mind that my drawings are quite simplistic and in some cases I do not actually know if they are accurate ie. bits of floor that I cannot see...

PS: DREVO = wood
OCEL' = Steel
Beton = concrete
(I had to draw the pictures for my father-in-law :) )

DSCF0193.JPG

DSCF0194.JPG

DSCF0195.JPG

DSCF0197.JPG

We are using waterproof concrete for the pieces that support the foundations:
IMG_20120502_125420.jpg

With steel that is epoxied into the original wall:
IMG_20120502_124755.jpg

We would like to use dimpled membrane under the screed floor with a sump and pump in the lowest corner and pipes in stone all along the wall.
IMG_20120502_125921.jpg

We have left at least 25cm for the total floor thickness.

Any thoughts/comments/advice please?

Thank you in advance.

Eben

Sponsored Links
I think i would be a little nervous about your excavation ideas in figure 2 particularly if you intend doing it in one go rather than in hit and miss stages.

I would also be concerned about the potential for clay heave and the need to counter its effects.

I'm sure a regular with letters after his name will be along shortly.... ;)

Thank you for those comments, it gives me some more things to research. Keep them coming :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back