Position of tumble dryer vent / outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Does anyone happen to know the correct / default position to core drill a vent in a standard 610mm appliance recess in a kitchen..........

i.e 300mm up from the floor centered @ 605mm etc

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I've always done it in line with the outlet from the dryer.

Never been stated in any instructions that it must be at a certain dimension.

It's more because this is a rental property I am working on so will be a variety of dryers going in over the years so was interested to know where best practice is....or just the norm really.

I expect every one is different.

Go online and look at the installation manuals for the likely suspects

Sponsored Links
Been thinking about this and the three that I have had over the years, plus the couple my two grown up children have had, the vent has always been at the bottom back left when viewed from the front. They have been a variety of brands and two were intergrated behind cupboard doors.

I have just been looking at some random installation manuals, and indisit and hotpoint both have bottom left venting also......so I think I'll prob go in and around that area...thanks for the info

But then I have seen some vids on youtube where its on the right, so maybe I'll go in the centre to allow for both

Bottom left: Indisit, Hotpoint, Beko, Bosch, Miele

Centre: Zanussi, AEG

Hi Vards
Nearly all the freestanding tumbles have venting on the bottom left .. roughly 150 mm from floor to centre, and about 100mm in from left hand side of machine .. going centre will cause an issue of having to have a 4 inch pipe running behind machine to reach the hole . obviously better to have the machine there to drill accordingly .

My Miele has it on the bottom left when viewed from the front... :confused:

Vards - do what you can to make the recess as deep as possible so that the flexible ducting can run across behind the machine wherever its outlet is.

It seemed looking at the wall to be drilled, (or front of the machine) the majority are bottom left.

It would of course be much easier to drill for a particular machine, but for rental property there will be various tenants bringing different dryers onto the premises.

From the research on AO.com I am leaning toward bottom left core drill (on wall/front of machine) as this seem the 'norm' for most manufacturers.

I have a full set of cores I brought some years ago and a makita dedicated core drill..... cavity wall inner skin clinker block outer LBC heathers.

Interesting point about the cavity wall insulation.......wow that must be fun if you had to deal with a deluge of that!!! Luckily I'm ok on that front...

How do you tackle that situation......

Just drill it in the middle, the hose will be fairly compressive and I doubt the restriction would be that severe.

Insulation sticks like **** to the cavity, you'll get some but certainly not a deluge.

I see I thought it was like small balls of material...i.e. vermiculite type, did not realise it is applied wet, thus sticking to everything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back