Possible little old lady being ripped off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Can anyone help me? I am concerned about a quote an old lady has had for sound proofing a house and wondered if anyone with appropriate knowledge can advise if this is normal?

Essentially old, but attempting to be independent old lady owns a small 2 bed house and converts them into in to 2 flats (top floor is a small 1 bed flat, ground floor is small studio flat). Photos attached are of top floor to give appreciation of size.

She pays a builder to convert them. Builder introduces old lady to his “friend” a middle aged man who does odd jobs for her. Builder is paid cash and moves on but “friend” has tea with her and continues to be paid cash to do adhoc jobs.

A few years later, old lady decides to sell the flats. During sale it comes to light building regs not checked during conversion.

The “friend” helps her, meets building regs from council. They state sound proofing is required. He is paid to do this, which he does and then meets again with building regs man to re-check.

Following this “friend” states that sound proofing has failed again and will be £10,000 to fix. He states this is for 18mm ply on floor on top flat, suspended ceiling and sound proofing stairs. “friend” also now denies knowing the original builder any more so conveniently he can’t go back to him. She is considering paying him cash again to do this
I know no more details than this, but to me this appears pretty expensive for sound proofing between 2 very small flats. Does anyone have any experience of this? Is this potentially a fair quote (I don’t want to rock the boat if it is). There have been other issues suggesting “friend” is taking advantage. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Tell the police you suspect fraud. They'll soon frighten him off.

Best advice would be to approach building controls and ask why the sound proofing has not been signed off and what is required to amend this?
Once you are aware of that, then you can approach other contractors that are paying their taxes to give quotes and will offer completion certs.

These are the regs
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/parte/

Hi thanks for the reply. The bloke isn't very friendly. I know when questioned by others he has got all aggressive with a few people (getting in their faces shouting etc including women) hence I am reluctant to get involved. That said if he is ripping her off then I will try to explain this to her. He has spent time building her trust so she is quite confused what to think. £10,000 is a lot of money.

Sponsored Links
Phone your local council and ask for the officer with responsibility for vulnerable adults. Explain your concerns and give name and address of the "little old lady."
Leave it to them.

If he is aggressive he has something to hide, ask the dear lady to get an itemised quote for the work from him and then it can be questioned.

But I would want to firstly know why it has not been passed by BCs, ask them they are generally willing to expand on the reasoning behind their decisions.

Of course he's going to get aggressive. By your description he's a professional con man, and has spent years building her trust to get this far, anyone walks in now and undoes all his hard work then he's not likely to thank them!

Yes exactly my concern hence this post. To me, £10,000 just for sound proofing 2 small flats sounds too expensive, but I am no expert.

Yes exactly my concern hence this post. To me, £10,000 just for sound proofing 2 small flats sounds too expensive, but I am no expert.
It is and considering this person has already supposed have taken steps to do this, I would be wanting that money back.

After the event the police will say "You should have told us". Either tell them or stand back and watch.

Phone your local council and ask for the officer with responsibility for vulnerable adults. Explain your concerns and give name and address of the "little old lady."
Leave it to them.

I would go with the advice above and include a call to trading standards also as a starting point.

As said Old Bill just don't want to get involved and tend to push it off as a Civil matter, unless it is someone important. I suspect trying to defraud an MP or local official would get their attention :rolleyes:

Certainly sounds like a scam. She should be getting quotes from reputable firms in Bournemouth not some cash in hand odd job man. Remedial sound proofing can be expensive and very disruptive but it needs to be done to an approved specification and by competent tradesmen.

Depending how long ago the conversion was done she may have some recourse against the original builder for the defective soundproofing.

The whole thing sounds very suspect but if this shyster has won her confidence you may be banging your head against a brick wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back