rain forcast when casting my trench footing ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have dug my trench footings but it has rained ever since. Started off with a bit of puddling on the bottom but i have just pumped about 2 foot out tonight.

The trench is 600 wide by 1000 deep and about 20 m long in total. I have about cubic metres due to be delivered on saturday but the forecast looks appaling. Is this a bad idea? I can cover with tarps once laid.

Also, how dry should the trench be prior to casting. I can obviously pump out again but it is difficult to get teh last inch out everywhere. If starting at one end, wont the water be displaced and then easier o remove at the last corner.
Or is it not really an issue?

Sponsored Links
It would be better to pump out the trench at least so there is not a depth of water in it. A bit won't matter.

Rain will do the concrete no harm at all, Concrete loves water. Once it's levelled and tamped rain will just sit on top of it.

Agree with the above.

We just pump out an hour before the concrete is due. Concrete is full of water it loves the stuff. Don't worry about small puddles.

Cement is just lifeless dust without water.

And any rain will just keep the concrete moist and it will set even harder.:cool: ;)

Ok, thanks. Just read a lot on line about rain damaging the top surface and repairs/ grinding off needed, increased water content weakening concrete (which I struggle to believe as it will set under water) and even comments that a decent concrete company wouldn't deliver when raining.
Thought I needed to get more opinions

Sponsored Links
Strip foundation is a fairly 'dumb' application for concrete. It just sits in the ground with a wall on top of it. Personally, I'd cover it with tarps for the first 24 hours, after that you really don't need to worry. If this were a reinforced engineered solution such as a floating floor slab, bridge or beam then you'd need be more vigilant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back