Recessed Bathroom Cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a downstairs bathroom with is 1.1m wide by 2.7m long. I'm in the process of re-designing the room and dont want to clutter the room.

I want to build or buy a recessed bathroom cabinet (approx 300mm wide x 600mm high) and fit it into an existing wall.

The wall is an exterior facing wall and I believe it is made of breezer block (2 blocks with a cavity).

What I'd like to do is have a recess cut out in this wall and place a bathroom cabinet inside the recess.

My questions are:

1) Is it safe to do (I will be speaking to a structural engineer to confirm if safe)?
2) Is it possible to get a clean cut out of a wall already in place?
3) What tools would you need to do this?

I don't plan to do the work myself but would have someone come in and do it.

I haven't found much on the net where anyone has tried doing this already, so thoughts would be welcome. I'd like to avoid just mounting the cabinet on the wall as I'm looking to save space and this will make a visual difference.

Thanks
N[/img]

Sponsored Links
No, you can't do this really, for a number of reasons. Most importantly is that it will weaken the wall significantly - you would need to put in a lintel. Secondly you will of course lose the insulation effect of the two leaves of brickwork. In short, for a bathroom cabinet, it's not worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back