removing a non load bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I have a non load bearing wall between my kitchen and dinning room which I would like to remove. The wall is 2.45m long and 2.72m wide with a door in the middle (removed the door). I had a surveyor round who confirmed its a non load bearing wall. There are no electrical sockets attached to the wall and I don't think any pipes running in it. Now I have gotten a quote from a builder for £9000... I'm speechless till now. The stupidity. It has put me off calling anymore builders.

Now the videos on YouTube make it out to be so simple so I figured why not give it a ago. I'm pretty good with my hands and tend to do well first time round but this is something new and would really appreciate it if someone would talk me through.

Kind regards

Kay

Also there is a 3" difference between kitchen and dinning room floors, what can I do about that?

Sponsored Links
Anything is possible with time an money but 9grand is a rip off!!!!

If you are sure that's it's not a load bearing wall they are easy to remove

You said you had a SE tell you it's not load bearing is there a wall directly above it?

Thanks for replying philprime. No wall above it only a bedroom.

But do the bedroom floor joists rest on the wall?
There may be no wall directly above it, but if the floor joists rest on the wall, the joists themselves may be supporting a partition wall.

Sponsored Links
How would I find that out? I don't think It is. Surveyor didn't mention anything about that

How would I find that out? I don't think It is. Surveyor didn't mention anything about that

Did the surveyor go upstairs and look under the carpets (or whatever you have down) to see which way the floorboards run?

If they run parallel to the wall downstairs, there is a possibility that the floor joists are supported off the wall.

Can you post a plan of upstairs and downstairs?

He did not. Just tapped the wall (hollow) and confirmed it was non load bearing and would not need planning permission.

Will draw a rough plan in the morning.

A friend found a builder for 200. Good price?

This "surveyor"...... did he chagre you good money for tapping on the wall to decide if it is load-bearing or not?

As I understand it, stud walls can certainly be load-bearing too.

I would have a good poke about under the floors upstairs, then report back here.

Now I have gotten a quote from a builder for £9000... I'm speechless till now. The stupidity. It has put me off calling anymore builders.

Sounds like the builder didn't want the job. 900 would be expensive ...

Cheers
Richard

The surveyor works for the council. It's a council house I live In. I need permission from the surveyor to remove the wall which he gave me. The floor is laminate so no chance of lifting it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back