Removing/Supporting Chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A house I plan to buy has had the chimney breast on the ground floor removed but left in place on the first floor and in the loft. At this stage I don't know whether the chimney is adequately supported and my mortgage lender want to see a structural engineers report.

I'm assuming the worse for the moment until I get said report but I was wondering what the cost would be to support the chimney breasts (there are two I believe) or to fully remove them (which would free up space, which might be useful at a cost of losing character).

Thanks,
Graham

Sponsored Links
There are far too many unknowns.

You do need an engineers report anyway and from that there should be information that can be priced. With regard to costs ask a local builder to have a look and give you a price. He will probably be able to do so even without an engineers report if he is any good.

You have to appreciate that from your post we have no idea of size, layouts, structural arrangement of floors especially the first floor. While there is likely to be range of figures likely it could be anything from nothing (breast is supported no work required) to thousands.

Yeah I can appreciate that, thanks for the reply anyway. It's a standard 1930s 3 bed council house but yeah was a bit of a dumb question I suppose.

Cheers,
Graham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back