Removing Whole Chimney Stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a detached house - There is a chimney which runs from top to bottom

I am thinking or removing the chimney to add a bit more space.

Does this need building control involved and will they ask for SE calcs?

I intend to remove the whole chimney from top to bottom and then add a few tiles to the roof where the chimney used to be - How long can I expect this to take two people?

Is two days labour to remove about right?

Finally are chimneys part of the structual stability of the house? I do not think they are but I remember hearing they provide lateral support

Sponsored Links

I intend to remove the whole chimney from top to bottom and then add a few tiles to the roof where the chimney used to be - How long can I expect this to take two people?

Finally are chimneys part of the structual stability of the house? I do not think they are but I remember hearing they provide lateral support

Also can I ask a frank question - Is this sort of job a DIY job? If it is not whey is that the case?

Does it not just involve smashing the chimney bricks from a ladder all the way down?

Does it not just involve smashing the chimney bricks from a ladder all the way down?

thumbsup.gif
You got it

Yes, you can DIY, two days for two men - one is only footing the ladder

thumbsup.gif
You got it

Woody - Are you being serious or are you winding us up again?

If it is a two day job why am I reading builders asking for 6K to remove a chimney stack??

Sponsored Links
Because they are filthy robbing scamming builders. Don't trust them. It's got nothing to do with training, insurance, skill, equipment, buisness costs or having a business to run, its pure greed

DIY and save!

Is this sort of job a DIY job?

Sure no problem. Kango out the base and then fit timber struts in as you go.
Then lite a bon fire and wait outside. :LOL:

Two days work, hmm?

Does this cover the roof repair, ceiling repair, wall repair, floor repair, g.f ceiling repair, g.f. wall repair and g.f. floor repair?

6K sounds a lot unless it is a behemoth of a chimney then I could see it costing this much, particularly if there are structural masonry repairs to carry out, chimney scaffold, skips, plant etc.

Also can I ask a frank question - Is this sort of job a DIY job? If it is not whey is that the case?

:LOL: :cry: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thumbsup.gif
You got it

Woody - Are you being serious or are you winding us up again?

If it is a two day job why am I reading builders asking for 6K to remove a chimney stack??

Seems a reasonable price to me . A little on the tops side- but -if it includes all reinstatement -- , guarantee, lots of skips, roof work, plastering , making good, etc etc .

You and your buddy will still be scratching your heads after 2 days- and wishing you never started the job. -GUARANTEED.

A good week's worth I would say. And don't forget the scaffolding for the bit on top, clearing the rubble into 3 skips or more!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back