Repair/replaster ceiling first or replace windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've got a bay window in my kitchen that needs replacing. The original single-glazed wooden frame is quite rotten and I'd like to have it replaced with new double-glazed windows.

Over the winter, there was a leak in the ceiling of the bay window, caused by a damaged gutter. The leak is fixed now but it has badly damaged the ceiling. (See picture.) As well as getting the plasterboard repaired, I would like to have the whole of the kitchen ceiling replastered – it's Artex and I would prefer to have a smooth finish. The ceiling already slightly overlaps the top edge of the old wooden window frame.

What order should I do this in? Am I right in thinking I should get the windows replaced first, then have the ceiling repaired and plastered? If I were to get the ceiling fixed first, surely that would mean the level of the ceiling would drop even more, further overlapping the old window frame, which would make it more difficult to remove. Am I right?

Thanks!

Chris

Sponsored Links
That seems to be decorative beading around the windows so your actual window may be quite smaller when that is removed.

But I would go for windows first then you will have an idea how much your ceiling is above the new frames. It may be that you get the windows installed, get the ceiling repaired and then fit the new trim to the new windows to suit the height of the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back